First time hunter trying to learn

This season will be my first time hunting and I'm trying to start getting gear together so I can spread it out and look for deals. Mostly gonna do day/weekend trips to wmas in the area if I have a place to crash nearby. I do have someone that will hopefully be able to show me the ropes and has a blind and stand. I just bought a mossberg patriot I got on sale. I was thinking if I should get a day pack or if y'all think a camelbak with a pouch to put some first aid stuff, water, and a razor knife with a pocketed vest would be fine

littlewolf

You can camp on alot of the WMAs. Some have designated camp areas, others you can camp just about anywhere you find a spot by the road. Or you can grab a cheap motel nearby and split the cost with your buddy.. As far as gear, you can save some money and hunt on the ground from makeshift ground blinds, but you'll generally have better odds up in a tree in a climber especially as a beginner. You can see more, get away with more movement, scent, etc. Plus it kinda forces you to stay put in a spot for a while. But please please wear a safety harness.
I have a day pack, I usually just refill a couple gatorade bottles with water and toss em in there with some snacks and a pad to sit on if hunting on the ground. You don't have to spend alot of money to kill deer. Just scout ahead of time if you can, play the wind, and be quiet and still. A pair of binoculars and a good pair of rubber boots is probably where I would spend some money first. Unless you are hunting mostly in the mountains then some hikers are a better choice. You can upgrade your optics and start "collecting" stands and gear later if you get into it. Try to resist the urge to buy a bunch of gadgets. The essentials are headlamp/flashlight, knife, binos, grunt tube and something to check the wind. Oh and have a plan for what to do AFTER the kill (quarter it up and pack it out if legal,, or drag it out on a game cart or plastic sled etc).

Cool Hand Luke

This season will be my first time hunting and I'm trying to start getting gear together so I can spread it out and look for deals. Mostly gonna do day/weekend trips to wmas in the area if I have a place to crash nearby. I do have someone that will hopefully be able to show me the ropes and has a blind and stand. I just bought a mossberg patriot I got on sale. I was thinking if I should get a day pack or if y'all think a camelbak with a pouch to put some first aid stuff, water, and a razor knife with a pocketed vest would be fine

Welcome to the addiction! On the pack. Just depends on how much stuff you plan to carry. I have a small gunny sack. Comfort and ease of use important. Good luck!

splatek

UAEC
Last season was effectively my first real season. I know where you are at.
I use a walmart el cheapo school backpack in green. It was my boy's, for school, but he broke a few zippers.
I use that one for a small private parcel I hunt in Coweta, because I am not going far. and can drag an animal out.
If you plan to pack out an animal it would be better to spend some real money on a good bag that can handle that job. <-- that being said, I do think for any hunt water (almost any bag is camelback compatible these days), a few sharp knives (I really like the havalon double blade and a fixed blade), depending on how deep you go a compass and map and/or map software/app on the phone. If hiking in far, I like a hammock to camp in ... weather permitting.
Good luck and have fun.

You need a weapon, learn to shoot it , you need a knife, a sharp one, and the ability to learn.

Read, all you can about your quarry, you will not become a predator overnight.

This is my advice, always keep the wind in your face, both hunting and the approach to your stand.

Hunt a hill in the morning, hunt a bottom in the evening. You will need a climbing stand for the morning, and cushion in the evening.

It's about detecting movement. Your quarry is always looking for you, and it is movement they will detect.

Their nose will win, everytime.

good luck

Thanks for the great feedback, I'll go for a small daypack and I do have to get the orange hat and vest. I haven't shot this particular rifle yet as the only nearby 100 yard range is closed for repairs but I have a lot of experience shooting pistols and rifles. I know patience is going to be the name of the game and I always prioritize safety above all else when firearms are involved. Sadly though I live in southern GA so not a lot of hill hunting to be had, but once I get better at it I'd lovely to take some trips up north

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Some good suggestions have already been posted. Below are a few that you definitely should consider.

A good pair of snake boots. Spend a little extra and get yourself a quality pair, if possible.

An extra orange vest to place over your stand, especially since you'll be hunting public land. I put one over mine, even when on private land.

An extra pocket flashlight, just in case your primary light were to malfunction.

A lighter or some matches, just in case you find yourself having to spend the night in the woods.

A game cart. Don't kill yourself trying to drag game out, get yourself a good deer cart of some kind. It's money well spent.

Some small rope to pull your gun or bow up once you get into your stand.

Safety harness, if you do not already own one.

Some flagging tape, or small bag of toilet tissue to mark blood trails, should you have an animal run off after a shot. This can make tracking so much easier.

A good, sharp pocket knife, useful for most anything.

As for hunting clothes, you don't need anything special. Old military BDUs work just fine, and you can find plenty in Savannah or Hinesville. It's all I've ever worn.

And always let someone know in advance the general location you will be hunting, just in case something were to go wrong. And make no mistake, things can go wrong.

What ever you will be hunting with, gun or bow, practice with both and become familiar with them. You don't have to shoot every day, just get a good feeling of how they handle. Over time, you will become more comfortable with your gear.

If you haven't already done so, take your hunter safety course.

You can find hunting deals even on Amazon. Check around before buying from anywhere, you may be surprised at how much you may be able to save.

Safety first! Focus on being safe out there. Don't climb without a safety harness, or do anything you know you shouldn't do. Be safe!

My deer cart has saved my life a few times! :bounce:

Deer cart.jpg

I wear a vest over my climber when walking in and out of the woods. I want to be easily identified, if someone sees me.

Safety vest.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Excellent info.

GON is a gold mine of great people and great advice.

Jim Boyd

Not sure where you are but I lived in Savannah about 30 years ago and Fort Stewart was a great place to hunt.

Good luck.

swamp hunter

A good Cell Phone and a younger Hunting Pard is real nice...

Gl4di4torRr

Don't give up. This past season was my first full season and I didn't get a deer until the last Thursday of the season. Early season to late season, everything changes so much throughout. Everytime you're in the woods, you'll learn something new. Best of luck!

35 Whelen

Read "Beginners guide to hunting public land" by C. Killmaster in the Public land hunting thread.

splatek

UAEC
and as others might have suggested get you a mentor!
Learning curve is, IMHO, super steep. A mentor helps with that.

Robust Redhorse

Think about "Hunt & Learns" sponsored by Georgia DNR Game Management.

It cost a little, but some of them can give you a good place to start, good info, and give you access to property that's a little better than average WMA hunting.

Not much there yet, but it will flesh out over the next few months.

They are conducted by a combination of private outfitters, DNR Hunter Development Program staff, and Regional Game Management staff.

https://georgiawildlife.com/LearntoHuntFish

TomC

Lots of good advice but learn how to clean a deer in particular how to debone the hams while the deer is hanging. Lots of good youtube videos. This aspect of learning to hunt must get overlooked because its amazing how many people have no idea how to clean a deer. I haven't taken a deer to a processor EVER going on 35 years and you DO NOT need to field dress em. Field dressing is where most people screw up the meat. Even when you hang the deer up you don't have to take the guts out. Cut that one tendon, the guts drop enough to get the tenderloins out. Get it to a skinning rack in an hour or two and you will be fine! I've shot A LOT during early bow season when its SUPER HOT and have never had an issue. I'd suggest a thin bladed Havalon knife (good for rear end surgery) as well a larger knife with dual blades like the Outdoor Edge ones. The non standard looking blade on the Outdoor Edge is great for getting under the skin and making long cuts when skinning them out. You will make some mistakes but after a few you will have it down pat. Take the $ you save on going to a processor and buy yourself a nice grinder.

In terms of actual hunting I think I'd rather forget my gun or bow before my thermacell. Snake boots, compact folding saw, emergency whistle, Third Hand Archery Bow Holder for portable if you plan on bow hunting, Muddy Safety Harness (great harness, NOT BULKY like many), bow/ gun rope, a small towel to stick in pack or keep around neck while walking in and out, enough boxes of brite eyes to mark trails to a couple stands. Learn how to identify a persimmon tree!!! REREAD LAST SENTENCE!! I switched from fanny packs to a decent size backpack some years ago and was one of the best decisions ever and even though its a moderale size backpack I can attach it to the back of my portable if need be. A GOOD thermos for coffee. Laura Lynn bottled water from INGLES. Their bottles of water have thicker plastic and better caps. Yes folks....its the little things!! Petzl Head Lamp, net gloves, net face mask and the best piece of camo clothing I've EVER bought was one of the Red Head Camo Leafy Net suits from Bass Pro. Was running late a few years back and put the net suit on over shorts and a golf shirt and shot my biggest ever than afternoon and in winter I can wear it over a REALLY warm clothes that aren't camo. PUT PAPER TOWELS IN YOUR PACK, trust me you will figure out why you need them in short order :) Ipad, Lifeproof case and strap and download the CJ BOX Joe Picket books. The number of critters I see hunting since I've started reading books on my Ipad has gone up A LOT. I truly believe reading a good book keeps you stiller and in the woods for longer period of times. I'l start reading around 9:3Oam or so and the next think you know its mid afternoon. Invest in Smartwool NTS 250 base layer 1/4 zip tops and bottoms, rag wool glommits, wool socks, silk or polypropylene liner socks (minimizes sweaty soon to be frozen feet), Smartwool toboggan / beanie. Costco has a great deals on Hot Hands....buy in bulk! TURN THE RINGER ON YOUR CELL PHONE OFF! Tinks Acorn Scrent cover spray. I read an interesting article a few years back that acorn cover scent was the most effective on fooling tracking dogs noses in a fairly controlled study or if you are hunting near cows just "step in a pile" before walking in. If its early seaon pick up a stick and swing it in front of you when you are walking in in the dark unless you like the taste of spider webs. Buy permethrin concentrate from Tractor Supply, dilute down with water and spray all clothes, packs, etc to keep ticks off.

Just enjoy yourself. It's not about killing something. The main satisfaction and enjoyment is all that comes before and up to that point! Now if you really want to have some fun take up turkey hunting. Its like "buck fever" on steroids! Good luck!

Last edited:

GRT24

If hunting WMA and public land the absolute best money you can spend is OnX, HuntStand or HuntWise. Especially if you are not familiar with boundaries. I think it’s the best tool I have in my arsenal.

Hillbilly stalker

If you rely on your phone for navigation ie: GPS, OnX, ihunt or the like.....buy an extra battery pack so you don’t end up with a dead phone in the woods. Cheap ones are $4 at Wal mart, more expensive ones elsewhere. Mine is about the size of a womens lipstick container and prettty cheap insurance. I always carry a piece of rope or mule tape about 6 foot long for dragging, it’s a life saver.

7Mag Hunter

med fanny pack or cheap backpack and stool from Academy will get u started....water bottles and snacks for hydration...Hunting WMAs and exploring, traveling light is a key...cheap walmart or Academy camo blind will help with concealment....A compass or GPS and WMA topo may help u stay out of trouble... sharp knife, para cord or mule tape can be used to fabricate blind and tie up deers front legs to help the drag out....A good LED headlight/flashlight will get u in and out of the woods in the dark..