First time hunters in the Augusta area

BobLoblaw96

First post on this forum so bare with me.
let me start by saying I am not a lifetime hunter of anything, I just this year started getting into it, luckily having guns as a hobby and being generally an outdoors person meant I had a good amount of gear to get started. That said I have no clue how to hunt ducks. Me and a buddy are gonna try and head out to fishing creek WMA when the season opens but we dont really know what we're doing, we got some decoys and some waiters so fingers crossed. I was just wondering if y'all had any tips for us or if there was any specific spot that way we should look out for. Thanks in advance!

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Brother I hate to bust your bubble but Fishing Creek will be a Zoo opening morning. And you won’t be surrounded by knowledgeable, respectful waterfowlers either.

tucker80

First, take heed to metro's warning. Itll be a madhouse.

Second, dont just pick a spot off the map. You have to get out there and scout. Over time, you'll get better and start building a book of holes. This is big on public because you need a,b,c choices. Sometimes more.

Third, and maybe the most important. DON'T name your spots publicly, even of they are well known. You'll appreciate that the more you get into it.

bassculler

Good luck brother. Be prepared for a major zoo. Lots of people camp out the night before in order to hopefully reserve a spot. I gave it up. Just not worth the headache. The main thing is to be careful and excercise caution.

BobLoblaw96

Thanks to all that commented, was definitely a mad house and we went home with nothing but my spirits arent crushed, it's all a learning experience. We'll definitely get back out there, or somewhere else. Wish us luck!

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Clarks Hill used to be some of the finest duck hunting on the east coast.

LIB MR ducks

Check out Phinizy Swamp WMA. It's in Augusta near the airport. Tough hunting but can be good at times.