First time squirrel hunting with dogs (check out the video)

blakejeffers

Last weekend I went squirrel hunting with dogs for the first time in my life and I must say it was a lot of fun. We covered several miles on the ground and ended up bagging a few squirrels along the way. The dogs belong to my Uncle and he only had them for about 2 weeks prior to this hunt so overall I thought 5 squirrels wasn't too bad. Although I have heard stories of guys killing 30-40 or more in a day. If you get a chance, check out the video and I would appreciate if you subscribed. Thanks, I always enjoy sharing my videos with the GON crew.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The start of a lifelong adventure

TurkeyH90

Last weekend I went squirrel hunting with dogs for the first time in my life and I must say it was a lot of fun. We covered several miles on the ground and ended up bagging a few squirrels along the way. The dogs belong to my Uncle and he only had them for about 2 weeks prior to this hunt so overall I thought 5 squirrels wasn't too bad. Although I have heard stories of guys killing 30-40 or more in a day. If you get a chance, check out the video and I would appreciate if you subscribed. Thanks, I always enjoy sharing my videos with the GON crew.
Save some shells and put a full choke in. Squirrels are tough and will take 7.5s all day at the top of a big oak. I hunt with a turkey choke in my 20 gauge.

Mack in N.C.

7.5's ar too small for squirrels. I use 6's most of the time but always carry some 4's and 5's. Full choke is best for squirrel Squirrel hunting.

TurkeyH90

6s cost to much but are better.A full choke with 7.5s will bring him down with one shot on all but the biggest granddaddy oaks.

Last edited:

crackerdave

crackerdave

It's a great way to start kids hunting.They don't hafta sit still or quiet.

delacroix

BANNED
Five is plenty. Killing 30 would take a full day. Some may actually do that but most just save them up for several weeks in a cooler and take a picture. Ill leave it to you to figure out what happens after.

Hillbilly stalker

Five is plenty. Killing 30 would take a full day. Some may actually do that but most just save them up for several weeks in a cooler and take a picture. Ill leave it to you to figure out what happens after.
Those people need called out. That's a wasted resource . Not even close to being a sportsman. I kill quiet a few every year . I eat a ton of them and have several older people I work with that take them too. I clean & quarter them before I give them to anybody. All they have to do is cook them. Don't get people to thinking that because a hunter has a plentiful harvest that they waste game. That's not the norm. Definetly not " MOST"

greg_n_clayton

Those people need called out. That's a wasted resource . Not even close to being a sportsman. I kill quiet a few every year . I eat a ton of them and have several older people I work with that take them too. I clean & quarter them before I give them to anybody. All they have to do is cook them. Don't get people to thinking that because a hunter has a plentiful harvest that they waste game. That's not the norm. Definetly not " MOST"
I have to agree ! I, personally, am happy with 3 or 4. Sometimes a couple and leave to save others for another day. I too also like high brass 4 shot, like Doug was saying !

Buckman18

What size shot do you prefer?

Save the shotgun for birds and such. Get an old Winchester model 67 single shot and head shoot them with iron sights. This way you wont have to worry about pellets in your dumplins.

Good video btw. Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun.

Doug B.

Save the shotgun for birds and such. Get an old Winchester model 67 single shot and head shoot them with iron sights. This way you wont have to worry about pellets in your dumplins.

Good video btw. Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun.

That was my first gun many years ago. It was handed down from my grandpa to my dad to me. It has killed many truck loads of squirrels.

They might want to do a lot of practicing. I don't think they could carry enough 22 bullets. ?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Except for those folks who like to eat squirrel brains,a head shot is the right way to get your squirrel. A .22 rifle is the perfect weapon for the job,I prefer cheap solid points, subsonic if I can get em.