First time wetting a hook in 2016

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I took my dad out for a morning of perch jerking. We've had some pretty special days on the water together over the years. There was the time on Reelfoot lake when on the 3rd day of a crappie fishing trip, we finally figured out how to catch crappie, and we filled the boat. There was the time on Seed lake when we tied up in a fallen tree and caught over 70lbs of shellcrackers out of one hole. Then there was the time I took him to Lanier to let Jeff Blair teach us how to shoot docks for crappie.

Then there was yesterday.... In a place to remain secret.

We caught a cooler full. Literally.

24719271885_86a67265cd_b.jpg

We didn't count them as we put them in the cooler, but as we got nearer and nearer the top, filling the cooler became our goal. The last 2 or 3 fish, I had to push down on the lid to get it to shut. I told Dad that I don't normally quit when the fish are still biting, but we left them biting yesterday.

Got home and let my 5 year old count them as I put them in the sink. An even 70!

24423737550_ec8da25b3b_b.jpg

And this is how I usually do them.

Cmp1

BANNED
That's some good eating there,,,, looks just like a lure I use for LMs,,,,btw what are the limits there, if any?

Last edited:

Coenen

That's a lot of fish sammiches!

Fry 'em up, toast some rye bread, butter it up, add a little tartar sauce, enjoy!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I don't think I've ever eaten yellow perch, if I have I don't remember. I've always heard that they are one of the best eating fresh water fish.

Talk about flingin a cravin on me!

Congrats on a great day!

Cmp1

BANNED
I don't think I've ever eaten yellow perch, if I have I don't remember. I've always heard that they are one of the best eating fresh water fish.

Talk about flingin a cravin on me!

Congrats on a great day!

Easily one of the best eating if not the best eating Jeff,,,, got a storm bass lure, looks just like it, lol,,,, I like ocean perch too,,,, got me hungry now,,,,
Lake Erie is known for them,,,,

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I might bring a mess of these to WAR North to let you boys sample them.

The mtn man

Yea!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, nice mess of fish! Perch are one of my favorite fish to eat, for sure. I've never caught that many at one time, though. I bet your dad had a ball!

Bream Pole

What type of habitat do you look for and do you fish at or near bottom? Never fished for yellow perch, but know a small lake in N. Ga that is supposed to have them.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
What type of habitat do you look for and do you fish at or near bottom? Never fished for yellow perch, but know a small lake in N. Ga that is supposed to have them.

Look for a grassy bottom. I've found them as shallow as 6 feet, and as deep as 40. My favorite perch technique is to set up a drop shot rig with a crappie minnow 16-18" off the bottom. I've seen them travel in schools, a lot like bonefish, searching for baitfish in the grass. When you find them, anchor up and cast out in a fan pattern. If they are there, you'll get a bite. If not, keep fanning. They move around the grass flats.

They don't always show up on a graph, or at least not mine. I think they're in the grass and don't always show up.

I'd say EVERY lake in north Georgia has more perch than anyone realizes. And when I say "north" Georgia, I mean north of Gainesville.

deerhuntingdawg

Awesome catch NorthGeorgiaSportsman!!

Cletus T.

Looks like a day to remember…….talk about loading the boat!!!

Congrats on the tasty catches!!!