First tower pheasant hunt

Btown54

I am going on my first tower hunt Jan. 9th can you guys give me help? First is this a good set up to take my 2yr old Boykin? What is the etiquette? Lastly will my Rio 6s dove loads be fine i was going to take my o/u with fairly open chokes?

Thanks for help

Tower shoots I have been on were shoot and let lie, no dogs needed. You shift stations according to a number of releases. Birds are picked up when the rotation ended. Mostly social, could take home if you wanted or were given to the staff assisting with the shoot. (Some better ones, have birds cleaned and packaged while light drinks and hor d'ouevres [snacks ;-) ] were served.) Distances are not that great and I assume you will be using a 12ga, I had no problem with 6's and a 20ga.

aabradley82

It’s great to take a dog to a tower shoot. Lots of practice for a dog. 6’s work great but I prefer a stout load and tighter chokes. I like’m to fold up and fall dead.

tad1

Yes certainly check with the host on dogs. They probably will be welcome. But the challenge is, if four people also bring their dogs and two of them are beside you in the circle. So really just coordination with other dog handler‘s and of course the event staff.

tad1

Some shoots I’ve been on non-shooters will bring their dogs just to work and retrieve birds

Btown54

It is at Kingston Downs. I hope I can bring my boykin. She will love it but, I will check . Looking forward to it.

F.A.R.R.

On some shoots after they are done with the release , guys will take their dogs and hunt up the birds that were missed. Be a good thing to ask the organizers about.

ghadarits

I've only ever seen people with dogs specifically there to make retrieves they weren't shooting. If you're at the position that the birds are flying too mostly you'll probably be missing shots while your dog is making retrieves. Personally I'd rather see my dog make a retrieve than shoot a bird thrown out of a tower. With that being said I've shot a lot of pheasants that were thrown out of a tower that my dog wasn't there to retrieve. If they'll allow it I'd take your pup.

Btown54

I've only ever seen people with dogs specifically there to make retrieves they weren't shooting. If you're at the position that the birds are flying too mostly you'll probably be missing shots while your dog is making retrieves. Personally I'd rather see my dog make a retrieve than shoot a bird thrown out of a tower. With that being said I've shot a lot of pheasants that were thrown out of a tower that my dog wasn't there to retrieve. If they'll allow it I'd take your pup.
Good advice. I had rather her retrieve 1 than me shoot 100.

7dawg9

I attended one of the shoots at Kingston Downs last year and will be there Saturday. Beautiful venue, last year some shooters had their dogs. As to gauge, choke, and shot, I’ve used 12, 20, and 28 gauge with good success. The pheasants are flying toward you with their vitals exposed. I wouldn’t shoot anything smaller than #6 shot.

spring

Most hunts will welcome dogs as long as they are well-trained and under control. It’s sort of like the frustration of going on a dove shoot when someone brings a poorly trained dog that charges around out of control and retrieves others birds. Not only does it aggravate the other hunters, but the dog’s owner screams at his dog as if the lack of training is the dog’s fault.... ?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
90% of the birds fell at my feet or within 10 yds on the tower hunts I've been on. It's a circle so if its any distance the guy next to you will shoot it and it lands at his feet.
These aren't really hunting but they are alot of fun.the birds taste great. Good luck

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
I do a lot of driven pheasant shooting in the UK. Your O/U will be fine, I’m assuming it’s a 12 gauge. For chokes I tend to use cylinder & 1/4 or if the birds are really high then 1/4 & 1/2. Shot size 6 generally ok but again if the birds are high move up to 5. As for your dog take it if you can, it’ll be great experience for it also if you ask nicely they should let it have some retrieves.

Enjoy the day and remember even if the birds are coming thick and fast, to pick your bird and ignore the rest and that you have more time than you think.

Last edited: