First Yak Fishing Trip

krusty

Finally was able to get the new WS Ride 135 out on the water, picked her up from Brent at TOW the Sunday before the deluge hit. Very nice guy and more than helpful for those looking to get involved in kayak fishing. I would call it a good day, picked up seven before lunch and missed a few others. Nothing to right home about, but was able to get some slime on the yak and now see why this is an addicting way to fish. Man I could just flat out get into places that before were impossible with a boat. Anyway, just wanted to drop a line and am looking forward to fishing some rivers once the levels in N Ga come down and clear up a bit.

Attachments

• 1st kayak bass.JPG
    1st kayak bass.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 506

crackerdave

Great picture,krusty! I know you're hooked fer sure,now.:clap: I've heard nothing but good things about Brent and T.O.W. - he's gotten a lot of folks in a kayak - as has Randy,the "Ocean Kayak/River Pirate" dood.

There are several other 'yak fishers and paddlers on here - it'd be fun to get us all together before the weather gets cold and make a 'Hooch or Ga. coast trip. My sister -"campinnurse" on here - just got into kayakin',too. The Chattahoochee river below Franklin is a nice float,and there's a campground [Brushy Creek]about 5 miles downstream from Franklin.

MTMiller

Where did you go fishing Krusty? I just got back from Rocky Mtn. PFA this afternoon. That place is awesome!

I just bought a WS Ride 135 also and I love it. I live in Dallas (really Acworth) about 10 minutes from Lake Acworth off of Hwy. 92. We should meet up sometime and fish.

The bite on Lake Acworth should be heating up here soon.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Nice pic and congrats on the new ride.

krusty

Where did you go fishing Krusty? I just got back from Rocky Mtn. PFA this afternoon. That place is awesome!

I just bought a WS Ride 135 also and I love it. I live in Dallas (really Acworth) about 10 minutes from Lake Acworth off of Hwy. 92. We should meet up sometime and fish.

The bite on Lake Acworth should be heating up here soon.

That pic was from Lathem, lot of standing timber in that lake. Most of it is way to difficult to get to by boat IMOP. Never been up to Rocky Mtn. PFA, looks like it might be a place to check out. How did you do up there and how did the water look. I am about a mile from Lake Acworth, fished it a bunch. There are some good fish in that lake, great place to fish in the late fall to winter. Right now it is pretty muddy. Once it settle a bit it should start turning on. We will have to try and meet up sometime when the water clears up a bit.

Last edited:

Money man

Krusty, that looks like a lot of fun and I love that standing timber shot. The other day my wife caught me searching for yaks on Craigslist.

I keep hoping one just shows up in my yard but she hasn't gotten the hint yet I guess. :bounce::banginghe

krusty

crackerdave - It would be fun to be able put together a float some time with some Woody's members. How is Hooch looking down that way? Haven't heard the latest on the water quality, but what I have seen hasn't been good.

Randy

I'll be glad to take you guys on the Ocmulgee or Flint any time for shoal bass. Congrats and welcome to the addiction Krusty.

Cletus T.

Very nice Krusty……that’s a pretty bass and like MM said…..I love seeing that standing timber in the background! I would like to get into river / yak bassin too and one of these days I’m going to go on a river trip with Randy!

Thanks for posting Krusty….I like what I’m seeing!

crackerdave

crackerdave - It would be fun to be able put together a float some time with some Woody's members. How is Hooch looking down that way? Haven't heard the latest on the water quality, but what I have seen hasn't been good.
The water quality is never real good - of course,it's worse when Atlanta flushes the "big toilet.":bounce: It's catch and release fishin'.Plenty of 'em,though.

I'd really like to get up a saltwater trip for us kayakers sometime in November - that's prime time for the big redfish and "doormat" flounder.:banana:

deerhunter09

I'm considering a yak myself, if you don't mind my asking, why did you choose that make and model? Just trying to learn a little about what you may or may not like about it.

krusty

The water quality is never real good - of course,it's worse when Atlanta flushes the "big toilet.":bounce: It's catch and release fishin'.Plenty of 'em,though.

I'd really like to get up a saltwater trip for us kayakers sometime in November - that's prime time for the big redfish and "doormat" flounder.:banana:

Ya, I'm sure the river down that way is never gin clear, but I wanted to make the TPG's are at acceptable levels. No need to catch the ecoli bug.

A south bound trip would be cool too, but have no knowledge of the GA coast. Most of the inshore I have done is along the SW coast of FL (Sarasota) and the Destin area.

Last edited:

krusty

I'm considering a yak myself, if you don't mind my asking, why did you choose that make and model? Just trying to learn a little about what you may or may not like about it.

I chose the ride 135 because of the stability and the weight it can carry. Being a newbie I was looking for a stable wide kayak and at 32" she has that as well as a good deal of storage area forward and aft. Probably not as fast as others boats or as nimble but seemed like a good fit for me right now. I guess I'll learn more about different boat as time goes by and what works in different situations. Many guys have multiple kayaks for different types of fishing. Maybe one day, but for now I am having a fun with the ride and look forward to the next time out.

Randy

Many guys say that no kayak is great for every fishing situtation, so a lot of them have multiple yaks. Maybe one day, but for now I am having a fun with the ride and look forward to the next time out.

Yea, in my case too many with the 13th one on the way!:O

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Congrats on the new ride, and just wait until you hook a good striper from your kayak...it is a blast!:cool:

krusty

Man, I'm not sure I have 13 rods and reels on the active duty roster right now. That is quite a collection Randy, all OK I presume.

Saw your post up above and might be interested in making one of the float trips one day soon to chase after some shoalies if we could get a group together.

MTMiller

That pic was from Lathem, lot of standing timber in that lake. Most of it is way to difficult to get to by boat IMOP. Never been up to Rocky Mtn. PFA, looks like it might be a place to check out. How did you do up there and how did the water look. I am about a mile from Lake Acworth, fished it a bunch. There are some good fish in that lake, great place to fish in the late fall to winter. Right now it is pretty muddy. Once it settle a bit it should start turning on. We will have to try and meet up sometime when the water clears up a bit.

Rocky Mtn. is an excellent fishery. I fished on Heath Lake ("trophy" bass lake) open on the 1st through the 10th of each month and I caught a couple. I saw one guy hook into a nice one on a white buzz bait...must have been around 10 pounds. They also have 2 other lakes (antioch east and antioch west) that are open all month long. Parking/Boat launch is $3 and they have a nice campground.

The water was fairly clear despite all the recent rains. The water level appeared to be at full pool but not over or under. There is a lot of structure on the lake and it is absolutely perfect for kayak fishing. I was able to get to many places the boats couldn't go. I imagine when the water cools down a little more and the bass move shallow, a kayak would be a great advantage on that lake. I will be going back soon. It was a blast.

Let me know when you head out to Acworth sometime. I haven't had much luck there yet but I want to keep trying until I can find them.