First Year Food Plots!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very nice!!!!! All those roots will help loosen up your soil!

Canuck5

This mix seems to be heavy on the brassicas even though the % seed was low. Also not sure how to tell if we seeded too heavy or too light?

Your seeding rate looks a little heavy, which I can be guilty of too, however, a sign just to watch out for is if it starts to yellow, which means there is not enough food (fertilizer) to feed the plants. Another sign would be if your brassica are too close together and they don't/can't make a decent size of bulb. Packed too close together and they won't. But just remember, your brassica will go thru their normal life cycle, will yellow, will die and nothing will bring them back.

But if your deer are eating them, which it looks like they are, it doesn't matter, does it? I have 3, 1/4 acre Durana clover plots, separated by 100+ yards each. The first plot from the road looks absolutely beautiful. The second and 3rd are short and I have grass coming thru right now. It looks disappointing, because they all got planted and fertilized the same, but the real reason, is the deer (on camera) are wearing plots #2 and #3 out. That's what they are there for.

Just keep an eye on your plots and learn for next year. Food plotting is a continual learning experience! :)

Canuck5

Soooooooooo, watch and see what your deer prefer and when and next year, buy your seeds separately, save a 5 pound coffee can and your yourself a moderately accurate fishing scale. Step off each of your food plots and get a ruff idea of each size (43,560 square feet in an acre), then you can plant strips or you can plant a buffet.