Fish finder power supply in a kayak?

rglinton66

Looking at putting a fish finder on the yak. I see picks of other peoples rigs with all kinds of electronics mounted on their boats. How you power them? I know people are not hauling a 50lbs deep cycle battery. Do they make yak specific models that are not 12 volt?

rglinton66

Thanks for the link. I had hoped there was a way to do it that would not add seven more pounds.

grandpa

battery

I took industrial velco strip from lowe's , placed on bottom of battery & bottom of kayak works great

aznflycaster

I currently use a 12 lithium ion ryobi battery drill to power just my fish finder. I had the drill already so I use the batteries in the drill around the house then charge them for the river. The 2 small batteries will power the unit for around 16 to 18 hrs.

EON

I'm using the 7 pnd batt from Batterymart. I'd like something lighter but I can get 2+ full days off a full charge.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
In a rush I bought two 6 volt lantern batteries from walmart and connected them in series. They haven't run out yet but when they do I will be looking for something more permanent.

get you a 9 hr battery out of emergency lighting set up with the low amps have used it three days no trouble weighs less than 2 lbs

flyfish101

I rigged kayaks for Gander Mountain for fishing and used a 12 volt rechargable game feeder battery. It works very well and is what I use on my Ocean Kayak prowler 13. I do not have to charge very often even though I use the kayak a lot.

B

breampole

I use a sealed lead acid battery I bought on the internet. It may weight a couple of lbs. About 2.5 inches wide 7 inches long and maybe 3.5- 4 inches high. Gander mountain has a "kit" for 49.99 with free shipping. It has 7a 12 volt battery like the one I have with abs plastic case and charger. They also have the batteries either sealed lead acid or gel for $24+ change. Everything at Gander ships free.

Last edited: