Fishing Lake Lanier and Chattahoochee River

nof2souf

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a watercraft to go fishing in Lake Lanier and Chattahoochee River with my 9 year old son. Occasionally, my wife and friends may come. I'm considering getting an inflatable boat due to its storability.

Wonder if anyone with experience with fishing in Chattahoochee River (and Lake Lanier) could tell me:
1) the pros and cons of inflatable.
2) what brand should I consider? I looked at Stryker, TrueKit, NewPort
3) how much hp outboard motor should I get? I'm thinking of getting an electric 1 - they seem expensive.
4) how durable are they? I bought Intex Mariner Inflatable. While it was great and suffice for lake fishing but after 3-4 use - one of its chamber started to leak.

thank you!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I had a 16' Saturn Inflatable (https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boats.asp) with a snap-together aluminum floor. I had a 25 hp on it and it went as fast as you'd want to go. Inflatables are pretty seaworthy since they are so buoyant. These type of boats are nothing like those Intex, you can stand on the tubes and it barely dents in like standing on a basketball. You could get by with a 9.9hp on say a 12 ft boat for you and your son, but I would want a 20hp if you start adding more adults.

I ultimately got rid of mine because it was too much trouble to assemble and inflate it. If you will be doing that every time you use it I would stick with a smaller model that has an inflatable floor, it will save a lot of time and aggravation. As far as durability it really depends on the conditions it's stored in, it may only last a couple of years out in the weather are 10 to 15 years stored dry indoors. Heat and humidity is what kills the seams, so they need to be dry before you roll them up and store them.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a watercraft to go fishing in Lake Lanier and Chattahoochee River with my 9 year old son. Occasionally, my wife and friends may come. I'm considering getting an inflatable boat due to its storability.

Wonder if anyone with experience with fishing in Chattahoochee River (and Lake Lanier) could tell me:
1) the pros and cons of inflatable.
2) what brand should I consider? I looked at Stryker, TrueKit, NewPort
3) how much hp outboard motor should I get? I'm thinking of getting an electric 1 - they seem expensive.
4) how durable are they? I bought Intex Mariner Inflatable. While it was great and suffice for lake fishing but after 3-4 use - one of its chamber started to leak.

thank you!

With the brands you listed I would go with the TrueKit Discovery. That catamaran design will give you the most deck space, they are lighter than the others, it has an inflatable deck rather than wood or aluminum, it has an all aluminum transom, and it's constructed with welded Valmex rather than PVC so it should be more durable and last longer. If you don't want to invest that much, I would go with the Saturn like I had.

nof2souf

I had a 16' Saturn Inflatable (https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boats.asp) with a snap-together aluminum floor. I had a 25 hp on it and it went as fast as you'd want to go. Inflatables are pretty seaworthy since they are so buoyant. These type of boats are nothing like those Intex, you can stand on the tubes and it barely dents in like standing on a basketball. You could get by with a 9.9hp on say a 12 ft boat for you and your son, but I would want a 20hp if you start adding more adults.

I ultimately got rid of mine because it was too much trouble to assemble and inflate it. If you will be doing that every time you use it I would stick with a smaller model that has an inflatable floor, it will save a lot of time and aggravation. As far as durability it really depends on the conditions it's stored in, it may only last a couple of years out in the weather are 10 to 15 years stored dry indoors. Heat and humidity is what kills the seams, so they need to be dry before you roll them up and store them.

Yea, when I had the Intex inflatable boat. It only took me roughly about 15 minutes to inflate and be ready to take it to the water. However, when I'm at the lake, I feel like I just want to hit the water and start fishing.

I'm in no rush to get it. I have just moved here recently. I'm going wait until we are settled down here and in the meantime, fish from the bank - be it @ Lake Lanier or Chattahoochee River.

Btw, thank you for the information!

j_seph

If you are talking hooch on the North side coming into Lanier just know there are as many crazy boaters through that stretch as they are on the lake. Kayak, vs 25 foot cuddy cabin is a scary thought. Especially when you are the one in the yak, looking up at a 2000 pound boat barreling down at you. Man can only paddle and wave so fast.

nof2souf

What are the risk of inflatable boat getting punctured by sunken branches, logs or protruding big rocks? If I pay $3k for an inflatable boat - I'm worried of the risk of it getting punctured by sharp objects in the river to the point where it is irreparable.

Wonder if anyone has any advice or feedbacks on this...