Fishing out West

Burdawg

Cody, Wyoming offers something for the whole family and gives you quick access to the South fork of the Shoshone, Clarks Fork, & several to the east. North Fork Anglers is right in Cody and is a class outfit. I would definitely recommend a guided trip planned in the early part of the trip. You will learn a lot. West Yellowstone offers lots of water to choose from: The Madison, Fire Hole, Gibbons, etc....Blue Ribbon Flies (in West Yellowstone) is another class outfit and they cover water from one end of Yellowstone to the other. South of Yellowstone all the way to Jackson Hole: the Snake River, Gros Ventre, etc...there are several guides in and around Jackson to choose from. Any decent 9' 5 wt. fly rod will get the job done out west, but wind is a factor out there. If you go towards the end of August, you will most likely be slinging hoppers and droppers...so gear up accordingly. Lots of water to consider, I would recommend picking an area with access to plenty of water and spend my time fishing instead of driving. Securing a guide will help with the learning curve and may benefit you for the remainder of your trip. In any event, spend some money at the local fly shops and ask questions...you'll be glad you did.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, get a guide if you are new to flyfishing. Im not a rod snob by any means but I will tell you that the wind blows hard and often out west. Different ballgame than fishing some of these creeks and small rivers in Ga. A cheapo rod will make the learning curve a little more difficult. For the most part I found the fish easier to catch out west than in GA. Way more water that hasnt been beat to death if you are willing to walk a little.
So I'm guessing my 3 wts wouldn't cut it out there? I've got to get out there some time.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
So I'm guessing my 3 wts wouldn't cut it out there? I've got to get out there some time.
My first trip out there I took my number 1 go-to 4wt and was left frustrated several times when the wind blew my casts several feet from where I was intending. It doesn't always blow, just most of the time.

TurkeyH90

In some places yes.Lava Creek aint much different than North Ga bluelining. I fished my 4wt B2X most of the time. On the bigger rivers like the Madison and Snake I fished my 6wt B2X.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 9' 7 weight that I use for smallmouth and trout streamers. Would probably be a good trout rod out there.

cowhornedspike

Flew to Denver, rented a suv and drove all over Colorado for a week fly fishing small streams that I found. Had done some homework before hand and knew some of the streams to fish but found several just driving around.

NEVER saw another fisherman the whole week I was there (August) because I fished water like I am already comfortable with and similar to the small streams here in GA. Everyone out there wants to fish the big rivers...not me. I wanted to wade small streams and fish like I know how.

Caught trout...lots of trout every day and had a blast. Brook, Brown, rainbow, cutthroat, ... did I mention I never saw another fisherman the whole week!!!!

Burdawg

there are some places that would be suitable for a 3wt, but for the most part, a 5wt would be recommended for 90% of the waters I've fished out west. I did use a 4wt on the South Fork of the Shoshone, and landed some nice fish, but a 5wt would have been a better choice. One thing you can count on out west...is WIND, especially in the afternoons. Hope you get the chance to go out there, you will have the time of your life.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Everyone out there wants to fish the big rivers...not me. I wanted to wade small streams and fish like I know how.

Caught trout...lots of trout every day and had a blast. Brook, Brown, rainbow, cutthroat, ... did I mention I never saw another fisherman the whole week!!!!

Me and a buddy had been out there for about a week, fishing big name waters. After several days of fishing large rivers, we stopped in a flyshop and told the guy behind the counter that we were more accustomed to fishing smaller creeks. He gave us directions to a freestone creek up in the mountains. About 10:00 in the morning, the sun hit the creek and we witnessed the most amazing caddis hatch I've ever seen. They were cream colored and came off in the millions. You could match the hatch and your fly would just get lost on its drift, mixed in with hundreds of the real thing. We actually struggled to catch fish on a creek we should have mopped up on. When the hatch was over, there was an inch deep carpet of dead caddis floating in the eddies, collecting like foam. I've never seen its equal.

Dean

Actually we always tote a 3wt and a 5wt....there are too many waters to fish were a 3wt is perfect. If you are sitting in a drift boat, wind blowing and chunking big streamers, then no. But the small creeks, tribs are often full of eager trout, and a 3wt will do they work.
Plus carrying an extra rod is good idea anyway; a broken rod (if you only have one) can put a damper on the fishing quickly:(

Burdawg

Me and a buddy had been out there for about a week, fishing big name waters. After several days of fishing large rivers, we stopped in a flyshop and told the guy behind the counter that we were more accustomed to fishing smaller creeks. He gave us directions to a freestone creek up in the mountains. About 10:00 in the morning, the sun hit the creek and we witnessed the most amazing caddis hatch I've ever seen. They were cream colored and came off in the millions. You could match the hatch and your fly would just get lost on its drift, mixed in with hundreds of the real thing. We actually struggled to catch fish on a creek we should have mopped up on. When the hatch was over, there was an inch deep carpet of dead caddis floating in the eddies, collecting like foam. I've never seen its equal.
I got to experience something similar this year in Colorado...we were fishing the Yampa river one day and got to experience the Tricos hatch...my little black RS2 didn't stand a chance, but it was quite an experience to see a hatch of that magnitude...