Fishing was off the charts! ***Pic heavy***

Nothin but Fish

Pinged "Foto Guy" this am and invited him to meet me at 1 this afternoon at my boat storage for his 1st look at ONIX on the water. 29 stripers and 3 1/2 hours later he says he has to have one. Great day my friend! Now he sees how LakeMaster put us on the fish. I switched the ducer back to the one that comes in the box and fished with it the entire time. The 1st two shots show where we were working and how the charts put us on target.:cool:

Attachments

• snp0101153751.jpg
    snp0101153751.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2,720
  • snp0101151027.jpg
    snp0101151027.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 2,743
  • snp0101150427.jpg
    snp0101150427.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,731
  • snp0101150457.jpg
    snp0101150457.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 2,717
  • snp0101150530.jpg
    snp0101150530.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,740
  • snp0101151614.jpg
    snp0101151614.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,714
  • snp0101152215.jpg
    snp0101152215.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,821
  • snp0101153603.jpg
    snp0101153603.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,708
  • snp0101153710.jpg
    snp0101153710.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,698
  • snp0101155852.jpg
    snp0101155852.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,714
  • snp0101155900.jpg
    snp0101155900.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,729
  • snp0101155905.jpg
    snp0101155905.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 2,743
  • IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,715
  • IMG_4310.JPG
    IMG_4310.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,746
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,727

Mako 17

Pinged "Foto Guy" this am and invited him to meet me at 1 this afternoon at my boat storage for his 1st look at ONIX on the water. 29 stripers and 3 1/2 hours later he says he has to have one. S THAGreat day my friend! Now he sees how LakeMaster put us on the fish. I switched the ducer back to the one that comes in the box and fished with it the entire time. The 1st two shots show where we were working and how the charts put us on target.:cool:

I'm not familiar with ONIX. Is that the mapping software? Are you running a Lowrance or Hummingbird or another machine?
Great pics by the way. That looks like Structure Scan images.

Nothin but Fish

Humminbird.......<")))><

I'm not familiar with ONIX. Is that the mapping software? Are you running a Lowrance or Hummingbird or another machine?
Great pics by the way. That looks like Structure Scan images.

Go to www.humminbird.com and check out the units. I am running the new CrossTouch ONIX 10si units which have Side Imaging and Down Imaging built in. The chart is our LakeMaster which is off the charts (no pun intended). I can put in a dept and range and the humps show up in green. I have the ability to put in a lake level offset bast on the level of the lake and it changes all of the numbers on the map. Mo more keeping in my head the offset and the charts are really good. If you like Navionics you will love LakeMaster. Look at the 2 chart shots above and notice how it helps target a hump. They only work with Humminbird and ONIX is not necessary to use the charts. The new Helix 5 can use the LakeMaster and it is less than $500 with SI, DI, 2D and internal GPS.

Trapnfish

I don't know what's better the amount of fish you guys caught or how good the pics of the graph are:D

Nothin but Fish

Thanks!

I don't know what's better the amount of fish you guys caught or how good the pics of the graph are:D

Thanks it was a hoot! We actually lost 7 or 8 between the hook up and boat side. Foto and I really wanted to get the big 30 in the boat but I promised to be home for dinner by 5:45 for greens, peas and jowls. Now if the rain will hold off mid day tomorrow I am going again:fine::cool:::;::;

fotoguy

Thanks Bill, I have posted some more fotos from today. You guys have to see these units, the clarity is unreal. Like I said in my post "there will be one on my Mako".:yeah:

TroyBoy30

Bill, I noticed in your last chirp images there were some nice arches. Why do our humminbird units not show good fish arches when using 200 kHz?

Nothin but Fish

Look at the frequency...nope

Bill, I noticed in your last chirp images there were some nice arches. Why do our humminbird units not show good fish arches when using 200 kHz?

Please look at the shots again and in the lover left corner is the frequency. All of these are 200kHz. CHIRP is a benefit after several hundred feet of depth. For Lanier and 98% of lakes in USA DI is the ticket for target separation in my opinion. I run 2D and DI side by side because 2D is 20 degree cone angle on 200 kHZ and DI is 86 degree angle on 455 (not cone but more like a rake and about 3" thick). I like running 800 kHz when targeting these shallower fish (less than 40 feet) since it is a 45 degree angle. This way if I see something on 200 and 800kHz then I know it is way more apt to be closer to under my transducer and the incredible target separation of DI lets me know if I need to avoid getting hung on it or throw my boat into neutral and drop my rigs in a fishes face. Hope this makes sense and explains benefit?

If you are available today call me and plan to jump in the boat between showers.

If I were to set up a seminar at Bass Pro or another place would any of you have interest in attending?

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

I know they are 200, that's why I asked the question.

You had arches on chirp but not with 200, which are what's above. I looked back at a ton of images and noticed we never see arches. Strange I've never noticed.

I agree on chirp. The benefits simply don't justify the cost to us bass fisherman. Or striper fisherman for that matter. Bluewater is where it will shine.

The DI looks very good. There is some washboard affect on SI now due to the dedicated DI crystal, but the way you fish I would think DI is much more useful that SI

Thanks for the offer. Looking at the radar, I don't think you're going to see a break. There's a big batch coming.

Nothin but Fish

Deep blue water

I know they are 200, that's why I asked the question.

You had arches on chirp but not with 200, which are what's above. I looked back at a ton of images and noticed we never see arches. Strange I've never noticed.

I agree on chirp. The benefits simply don't justify the cost to us bass fisherman. Or striper fisherman for that matter. Bluewater is where it will shine.

The DI looks very good. There is some washboard affect on SI now due to the dedicated DI crystal, but the way you fish I would think DI is much more useful that SI

I personally think the ONIX is outputting some of the best images today. The "all in one" ducer is solid. Know that we are always working and striving for improvement though so keep an eye out:flag:

TroyBoy30

Yea, not having a 2 ft log transducer is always a good thing lol

Waiting to see onix gen 2 very soon

Panthers65

If I were to set up a seminar at Bass Pro or another place would any of you have interest in attending?

I was up at BP a few days ago asking for their show/seminar schedule and they said they had nothing planned. Said the Lowrance guy randomly stops in every now and then, but haven't had anything on the books. I'd love to get some learnin' on the new electronics. I'm looking at the Helix 5SI here in the next month or two, but not sold on anything yet.

Then again if it's just me, a private lesson on yer boat while reeling in 29 stripers would suite me just fine too:fine::biggrin2::cool:

Nothin but Fish

I was up at BP a few days ago asking for their show/seminar schedule and they said they had nothing planned. Said the Lowrance guy randomly stops in every now and then, but haven't had anything on the books. I'd love to get some learnin' on the new electronics.

David Turner is at BPS just about every last Sunday of the month. I'm headed there now and will speak with the GM.

StriperrHunterr

David Turner is at BPS just about every last Sunday of the month. I'm headed there now and will speak with the GM.

You asked about helping guys out with their units, or prospective units, so I'm offering my opinion.

You know how I feel about the features of the Onix, they're incredible. The price, however, is prohibitive to the vast majority of us.

Look at the recent threads on here asking for advice and compare their budgets with the sticker on the onix. It's way out of 90% of our leagues.

I like looking at your threads to see what is coming down the pike to the rest of us plebes, but I think that it would be good if you took "average" units out more often and talked about getting the most out of them, rather than the "blinged-out Escalade" units.

Any negativity that's been in my tone towards your posts, which I do appreciate, is merely due to jealousy and the fact that I can't justify 2-3k on fish finders.

Nothin but Fish

Great input!

You asked about helping guys out with their units, or prospective units, so I'm offering my opinion.

You know how I feel about the features of the Onix, they're incredible. The price, however, is prohibitive to the vast majority of us.

Look at the recent threads on here asking for advice and compare their budgets with the sticker on the onix. It's way out of 90% of our leagues.

I like looking at your threads to see what is coming down the pike to the rest of us plebes, but I think that it would be good if you took "average" units out more often and talked about getting the most out of them, rather than the "blinged-out Escalade" units.

Any negativity that's been in my tone towards your posts, which I do appreciate, is merely due to jealousy and the fact that I can't justify 2-3k on fish finders.

I hear you and great input! I focus on the ONIX for a number of reasons but rest assured the Core product is all very solid gear. The fact of the matter is most guys don't really know how to operate but the very basics of electronics. I will work on providing more core focus even if it comes from a prostaff person. I am very interested in doing a seminar for a big group at a convenient location. If a few dozen folks from here will commit I will put it together.:flag:

StriperrHunterr

I hear you and great input! I focus on the ONIX for a number of reasons but rest assured the Core product is all very solid gear. The fact of the matter is most guys don't really know how to operate but the very basics of electronics. I will work on providing more core focus even if it comes from a prostaff person. I am very interested in doing a seminar for a big group at a convenient location. If a few dozen folks from here will commit I will put it together.:flag:

Thank you. I'm guilty of that myself. I've only used birds all my life, and will likely continue to do so, but even then I know I'm barely scratching the surface of what most of what my gear can do.

I'd be interested in going to an event to learn more.

Zebco 33

With the discussion of onyx vs standard stuff.....

What is the difference in power and image clarity between onyx and say an 1198 on 2d, DI and SI. Other than touch screen and more veristile favortie screens.

I would love to get an onyx unit and have the money but cant justify it for the $1,000 difference.

Not tryin to be rude or knocking at the product i guess i need more insight from an end user vs the website.