Fishing was off the charts! ***Pic heavy***

rnvinc

Bill, I noticed in your last chirp images there were some nice arches. Why do our humminbird units not show good fish arches when using 200 kHz?

Forgive me for this being my first post (Troy knows me from other forums) ...

I feel I may be able to help some understand Troy's question quoted here ... Hopefully without getting to complicated ...
----------
----------

All sonar systems have "trade offs" ...How effectively they can obtain "good echoes" without also getting the "bad echoes" ...

Xducers are rated (in part) by their own specific "Q" factor ...

The "Q" factor is a measurement of how long the piezo vibrates after the transmit cycle (called "ringing" - like a church bell resonates)... The lower the "Q" factor = the less the piezo vibrates after transmit ... Less "ringing" ...(this is one of the major factors of why Airmar xducers are more expensive ...they're designed for a lower "Q" factor = less "ringing"...)

These vibrations after the transmit can, in fact ... be "received" during the "listening" cycle ...and are then plotted as "noise" (or false echoes) on the display ...

Certainly a higher energy transmit (more wattage pulse) ...in a high "Q" factor xducer... Would just create more "ringing" ... Which is plotted as more noise (clutter or false echoes)...

CHIRP by technological reasoning (and by the capability of being able to use lower "Q" factor xducers) ... can put more energy into the acoustic signal ...without also creating more noise ...

There's more to CHIRP than just the lower "Q" factor xducer ... But that's the easiest part of the equation to explain ...

In a nutshell ...

To put the same amount of energy output into the 200kHz "tone burst" signal as is achieved in the CHIRP signal (with a lower "Q" factor xducer)...would create so much noise (..."ringing"...)...that the display would be one big mass of noise (clutter)....

So to answer your question Troy ...the CHIRP has better defined arches (than normal "tone burst" sonar)...because CHIRP (by design) is a much stronger acoustic signal ... Even out toward the edges of the sonar cone ...

Rickie

BTW ... All xducers have a rated "Q" factor (CHIRP or tone burst)...it's just that most "tone burst" xducers have such a high "Q" factor ... It's of no benefit to any brand to publish this spec ...

Rickie

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

With the discussion of onyx vs standard stuff.....

What is the difference in power and image clarity between onyx and say an 1198 on 2d, DI and SI. Other than touch screen and more veristile favortie screens.

I would love to get an onyx unit and have the money but cant justify it for the $1,000 difference.

Not tryin to be rude or knocking at the product i guess i need more insight from an end user vs the website.

Touchscreen, better resolution, digital 2d, chirp capable, smart strike, map sharing, Dedicated DI crystal in an all new all in one transducer, Internet capable with phone hotspot. I think that's it?

Something else to consider. IMO the core series will be phased out. Word is a new non touchscreen onix is on the way for $500 less. Future support will focus on the new onix and ion

Good to see you Rickie

Zebco 33

So better resolution right out of the box. Touch screen is cool but not a must. It is the resolution and larger screen i am looking for.

I wonder the validity of the non touch onyx?

That would be the ticket.

Cajuncatfish

Non Touch ONIX units are in the Bass Pro catalog that just came out. As Troy said they are $500 less than the touch version.

Zebco 33

I just saw that on the humminbird website.

I might just have to spring for it.

RoyalFlush

I hear you and great input! I focus on the ONIX for a number of reasons but rest assured the Core product is all very solid gear. The fact of the matter is most guys don't really know how to operate but the very basics of electronics. I will work on providing more core focus even if it comes from a prostaff person. I am very interested in doing a seminar for a big group at a convenient location. If a few dozen folks from here will commit I will put it together.:flag:

Count me in for the seminar - assuming I'm available at the date/time. I've been seriously considering the 899 or 999. My current unit is a 2D Lowrance monochrome. As others have noted, the Onix is really out of my price range as well. The smaller non-touch unit seems like it may be a small possibility, but I would have to sacrifice side imaging and still pay more. I would get some more features, but the 899 and 999 seem to have what I need.

Zebco 33

i will be making a deal on m 898 di si combo here soon. I am upgrading to onyx.

Willi

I would be interested in the seminar. I have a 898 cx hd si combo and would love to learn more with it. Count me in

Willi

suuntov

You asked about helping guys out with their units, or prospective units, so I'm offering my opinion.

You know how I feel about the features of the Onix, they're incredible. The price, however, is prohibitive to the vast majority of us.

Look at the recent threads on here asking for advice and compare their budgets with the sticker on the onix. It's way out of 90% of our leagues.

I like looking at your threads to see what is coming down the pike to the rest of us plebes, but I think that it would be good if you took "average" units out more often and talked about getting the most out of them, rather than the "blinged-out Escalade" units.

Any negativity that's been in my tone towards your posts, which I do appreciate, is merely due to jealousy and the fact that I can't justify 2-3k on fish finders.

Yup.
Thanks for perfectly saying this.
:clap:

Nothin but Fish

Seminar

As most know I travel a great deal but I have put some dates in front of Bass Pro to see what might be available. Is Bass Pro Shops a convenient location for most?

My seminar will cover technical info about ALL electronics and how they work, how to use electronics for effective fishing and what to consider when making any investment in electronics.

Stand by....<")))><

SeeingSpots

As most know I travel a great deal but I have put some dates in front of Bass Pro to see what might be available. Is Bass Pro Shops a convenient location for most?

My seminar will cover technical info about ALL electronics and how they work, how to use electronics for effective fishing and what to consider when making any investment in electronics.

Stand by....<")))><

I would attend. And yes BPS is very convenient to me.

jerseycat9

Stand by....<")))><
I will go just to heckle you :bounce:

Panthers65

Stand by....<")))><

Pending the date, I'll definitely be there.

Just a thought, you may want to start up a different thread to gauge better interest. The headline on this may not be the best way to find everyone interested in the seminar

Willi

Will you be able to offer update for my
898 cx hd si combo

Nothin but Fish

Good info!

Pending the date, I'll definitely be there.

Just a thought, you may want to start up a different thread to gauge better interest. The headline on this may not be the best way to find everyone interested in the seminar

No doubt and great suggestion, Thanks!