Fishing While Turkey Hunting!!

stiles1682

How many of you guys do this? I love to Turkey hunt, but I'm a bigger Fly fisherman than hunter. So with that being said, I've always find myself looking for fish in all the creeks and stuff I hunt around. I like to go in very light so I dont take any type of a pack anymore. Just mouth calls, and a slate call and my shotgun. Wanted something I could break out quickly and dap a fly to find a little native waiting on lunch! Trout, redeye, Chubs or whatever will bite. Finally run across the Tiny Tenkara. Very basic fishing. Pole, line, fly. This thing will shrink down and fit in my cargo pocket. You can literally be fishing in 30 seconds with very little movement all while your easing up the creek bank in search of those big birds. Also seems like it would help pass by the slow morning hours while your waiting for the Hens go set on the nest and those midday gobblers strike up.

Timber1

BANNED
Your not likely to hear a bird gobble if your around a rushing mountain stream. The thick growth and dead falls around creeks and branches makes it impossible to slip anywhere, except down. And the worst part is these waters are always down at the bottom of very steep ridges where no self respecting gobbler is going to be. Taking a bass boat to West Point WMA and fishing the lake on a hunt/fish camping trip is a whole different ballgame.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Been doing it my whole life.

View attachment 1005645
That's a cool set up.. River Boat.
Bait Caster. Fly Rod. Spinner. Shoot Gun (not shotgun)?

What's that side box at the rod tips?
Is it for protecting yer' rod tips?

And... What's the draft of that boat?
Just curious... I'm getting ready to drop some cash on a 15ft vee I've had for a while. It was Daddy's.. I guess it's official now that he's passed and my buzzard sister's ain't tried to start nothing about.

Just looking for some ideas since you live on the river. With a larger engine, this will be good for Georgia water. Rivers and lakes. A trip to Santee- Cooper would be a different story..?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Where I come from if you dont have a shotgun and fishing pole in your truck in the spring you might get diagnosed as a Buttigieg.

Glad I finished my coffee or my iPad might be wearing it! :rofl:

First time I got busted I was fishing Allatoona while practicing my calling. I heard a bird so I beached the boat and got out. Set up about 40 yards away and heard nothing. After about 15 minutes or so I got up, stepped onto the firebreak I was next to and there were two birds trying to find me about 20 yards to my right. They were GON so quick I don’t remember if they were hens or jakes or what. I was busted and stoked at the same time.

I am a big fan of fishing while locating :cheers:

Big7

The Oracle
^^^^ HOGS^^^^ NOT TURKEY^^^^^

Hog. Yes. In a heart beat.??

Turkey, I'm not so sure about that?
Maybe y'all have more of an abundance of turkey than I do.

I may not be the best. Not near the worst turkey hunter in the world... That would get you busted real quick hunting birds in the South Georgia counties I hunt.??

By all means, kill em' while catching fish ? That's a good, real good thing.??

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That's a cool set up.. River Boat.
Bait Caster. Fly Rod. Spinner. Shoot Gun (not shotgun)?

What's that side box at the rod tips?
Is it for protecting yer' rod tips?

And... What's the draft of that boat?
Just curious... I'm getting ready to drop some cash on a 15ft vee I've had for a while. It was Daddy's.. I guess it's official now that he's passed and my buzzard sister's ain't tried to start nothing about.

Just looking for some ideas since you live on the river. With a larger engine, this will be good for Georgia water. Rivers and lakes. A trip to Santee- Cooper would be a different story..?

That`s one of the floatation chambers. Got one on each side at the back. The boat is a 1652SS Lowe Roughneck with a 40 horse 4 stroke Mercury. It`ll run right at 34 mph. It`s almost 14 years old and I`ll replace it with a 50 horse Yamaha in time.

It serves me very well.

gatorboat.jpgriverboat 1.jpgriver runner.jpgriver runner2.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
That`s one of the floatation chambers. Got one on each side at the back. The boat is a 1652SS Lowe Roughneck with a 40 horse 4 stroke Mercury. It`ll run right at 34 mph. It`s almost 14 years old and I`ll replace it with a 50 horse Yamaha in time.

It serves me very well.

View attachment 1005668View attachment 1005665View attachment 1005666View attachment 1005667
Yeah Man... That's even better than what I thought. That 40 HP should get you where you want to go.. Let the trolling motor do the rest. My lil' boat ain't no where near that. It's max rating is 10 HP.. I had a Tracker for about 10 years. Even with a fitted cover made for that particular boat, I couldn't keep it clean under oak trees.? + My bud I used to fish with in Miami moved up here for more work- kept going up on his offer for the Tracker, I had to cut him a fair price.. You know how that kinda' stuff goes.? So, I need to fix Dad's up or I've been thinking about a G3 or something WITHOUT carpet.?

And.... I hope that gator in that one pic was dead, ready to harvest that tail meat and send the hide to the buyer... ??????

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yeah Man... That's even better than what I thought. That 40' should get you where you want to go.. Let the trolling motor do the rest. My lil' boat ain't no where near that. It's max rating is 10 HP.. I had a Tracker for about 10 years. Even with a fitted cover made for that particular boat, I couldn't keep it clean under oak trees.? + My bud I used to fish with in Miami moved up here for more work- kept going up on his offer for the Tracker, I had to cut him a fair price.. You know how that kinda' stuff goes.?

And.... I hope that gator in that one pic was dead, ready to harvest that tail meat and send the hide to the buyer... ??????

That was the gator I helped Tomboy Boots get in 2013. 11 feet 8 inches, 500 pounds.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Very good friend of mine. We hunting. Got to a big creek. It was low. We looked at it. Said we should get crickets and fish.
Jumped back up on the bank. And there he stood. We called before getting in the creek.
He turned and ran. Beard swinging.
May aswell fish now !

Big7

The Oracle
That was the gator I helped Tomboy Boots get in 2013. 11 feet 8 inches, 500 pounds.
Dang... That's a whopper. Ima' going to send you a PM in a sec..

whitetailfreak

Fried trout, taters and pita makes a fine lunch while back in the mountains turkey huntin'.

stiles1682

ssramage

I don't. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the fishing because I would constantly be thinking about the areas that might have a gobbling bird and would feel like I was wasting time.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hunt on the water a lot , and usually fish until I hear one gobbling , funny story , last spring my dad and I pulled up to our listening spot in the boat and didn’t hear anything at first light so we eased out in the lake and started crappie fishing and got on a good bed of crappie and in just a few minutes had about 10 slabs and I heard a turkey gobble , I told my dad let’s go . He said let him gobble a few more times , after a few more gobbles he said I can’t hear him , he’s about half deaf , so he puts a mouth call in and calls and maybe a minute later the turkey comes out on the bank all blown up , next thing u know he pitched and flew directly over the boat never to be seen again !

frankwright

I turkey hunt on my friend's land and he has a pond full of blue gills and big bass. About mid day the pond really starts calling me. I sometimes take a 2 hour lunch break and just fish.
Last fall we drained the pond, added lots of fish cover and restocked it with bluegills. Bass will go in shortly but the call to fish won't be quite as bad so maybe I can stay focused on turkeys.