Fitting Revolver Grips (S&W)

ChidJ

I've been working on getting this old revolver (relatively old anyways) back to carry readiness and I got my sweet new VZ grips in today. They fit tight but they don't look right and its bothering me.

Before I take the dremel to these things, I was wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of a resource that might help me avoid some costly mistakes in getting these grips to fit nicely. Thanks in advance and here is a picture of what I am working with.

2020-10-05.jpg

Also, sights are coming in case anyone was concerned I didn't realize they were gone.

Last edited:

tad1

Well first off that is a sweet looking Pistola!
I was hoping someone would come along and help you out. Are you referring to where the grip fits near the back of the trigger guard? I would start with calling the grip manufacture or look on YouTube for gunsmithing videos. Maybe just go with a different grip if you’re not satisfied. Those are pretty sharp looking though!
JT

ChidJ

I may call them but I don’t know what they’ll say about it. This pistol hasn’t been made for a while so, even if they were willing to custom fit them, I’d have to send the gun to them and I don’t want to do that.

I think the conclusion I’ve come to, after looking at it some more is that I can’t really take any material off to adjust it. So what I think I’ll do is use bedding resin to fill in and close up the gaps.

I haven’t found any resources to guide me through it but hey, the grips are replaceable if I bugger them up. The grips are completely functional as is though and they fit very tightly. The gaps just throw off the aesthetic for me