Flats/Bay boat suggestions

Joel

We're in the market for a flats/bay boat. Been looking at used boats trying to come up with exactly what we like. Not looking to break the bank, maybe around $20,000. What boats have yall had that you liked or didn't like? There'll be 4 of us usually. My 17 year old is special needs so some space and room will be neccesary. I'm thinking a boat in the 19' to 21' range.

Ihunt

The deeper the V, the better the ride in a chop but it will rock more at rest. A flat bottom, like a Carolina Skiff, will go shallower, will pound you in a chop, but be more stable at rest.

I have a Carolina Skiff DLV and it’s been a great boat but the more I want to go offshore, the more that rough ride gets old. It’s great for tubing, skiing, and flats fishing though.

Gator89

I have a 2004 Blazer Bay 2200, rides good and fishes good.

A buddy of mine had an 1870 Blazer, decent boat, but not as good of a ride in choppy water.

You will need to shop hard to find a 20ish foot boat for $20k.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I had a 19' Polar skiff. Fished great. Very roomy & stable. I'm a big guy. I could stand on a corner & it wouldn't hardly dip.
Ride in a chop was rough. It would pound you.

I have a 19' Key West. Beautiful ride, but doesn't have a lot of room & isn't stable when fishing.

doomtrpr_z71

A Carolina skiff would probably be best for you for the room, just understand the limitations and don't try to go snapper fishing in it 50 miles off shore. They will rattle your teeth when it's choppy but you should be able to get one in good shape in your price range.

Ihunt

Agree Carolina skiff. Slow down when it's rough and it's not too bad.

We went out a few weeks ago and when we left out it was fine. Got rough, like real rough, and I had to drive in at 5-6mph. Was never scared but I sure was glad when we pulled into the Carrabelle River.

pottydoc

The deeper the V, the better the ride in a chop but it will rock more at rest. A flat bottom, like a Carolina Skiff, will go shallower, will pound you in a chop, but be more stable at rest.

I have a Carolina Skiff DLV and it’s been a great boat but the more I want to go offshore, the more that rough ride gets old. It’s great for tubing, skiing, and flats fishing though.
You’re not going to find a bay boat with a deep vee. And very few of them ride”great” in anything over 2’. With a special needs kid, I think the room and stability of a Carolina Skiff makes it a great choice. By the biggest one you can get in your budget, more space is always nice.

Ihunt

You’re not going to find a bay boat with a deep vee. And very few of them ride”great” in anything over 2’. With a special needs kid, I think the room and stability of a Carolina Skiff makes it a great choice. By the biggest one you can get in your budget, more space is always nice.

I bought the 25’ DLV. Does a lot of things well but waves is not one of them.
I agree it is a great choice for the OP. For what a CS is, it’s not a bad boat. People just need to know the ride is not fun in anything over about 6” ?

Rich M

The 19 ft Kenner boat in Post 9 is a great option, they also come under the Mako label. I almost bought on back in 2005-ish and regret not getting it. A buddy has one - we go offshore fishing in it too.

Carolina Skiffs are heavy when you get in the 19 ft+ size - real wide & stable. They offer a modified V and the ability to use less hp than a comparable V hull. Lotsa room in these.

Rich M

The 19 ft Kenner boat in Post 9 is a great option, they also come under the Mako label. I almost bought on back in 2005-ish and regret not getting it. A buddy has one - we go offshore fishing in it too.

Carolina Skiffs are heavy when you get in the 19 ft+ size - real wide & stable. They offer a modified V and the ability to use less hp than a comparable V hull. Lotsa room in these.

marlin

Look for a Sea Pro 21 ft bay boat from 2003 up until the last year they made them. They are making these boats again so look for one of the older models.

95g atl

boat prices are insane right now.
I have a 2021 carolina skiff 23LS w/suzuki 200. it replaced my old 2006 198 DLX. Ride is 10x better w/the new boat HOWEVER, it still is not a heavy chop boat. It'll take it decent if you go slow.

Pick your poison. Looked at the Key West 239 and Bay Reef 230. The bay reef is similar to the LS (a little more of a V hull) and the 239 is truly getting offshore capable but $80,000 +++ and no shallow draft like the carolina skiff.

It was nice last month near Cape San Blas to get out in calf deep water. And pull the boat close to shore without running risk of getting it stuck. I'd say it was in 12" of water and zero issues. Dispatched Fore and Aft anchors and zero worries. NEVER could do that with a V boat of the same size.

Again, pick your poison.

Best of luck finding anything in the $20,000 range worthy and isn't a dinosaur. I couldn't find anything used and just bit the bullet and bought the last boat the dealer had. Went in for it's first oil change and dealer said I can sell for more than I paid 4 months ago. WOW.

Joel

Well, here she is! A 2018 DLV 198. Found a great deal but had to make a stroll to pick it up. Double axle, Terrova and a Garmin unit are just a few of the extras it has. Suzuki 115 with right a 25 hours! I couldn't be happier. I know they're not the most popular boat woth some folks but it'll be great for what we need!

Attachments

• 20210721_121139.jpg
    20210721_121139.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 103

slow motion

Congratulations on your purchase. Wish you a lot of successful trips and fond memories made and post up some trip pics if you get a chance.