Flint river near Woodbury Ga

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just curious if anyone has any experience fishing the flint near Woodbury, I’m not to far from it and go over it often and always wanted to give it a try . Just wondering how the fishing is and what fish are most sought after , any flatheads ? Thanks

BigBass123

I fished a little south of there last weekend. Awesome scenery plus I caught some fish too.

Rocks were by far the most slippery I’ve ever been on. I honestly don’t think you could wade it without slipping and getting wet.

brunofishing

I fished a little south of there last weekend. Awesome scenery plus I caught some fish too.

Rocks were by far the most slippery I’ve ever been on. I honestly don’t think you could wade it without slipping and getting wet.
They have special shoes for that! Or take an old pair of shoes and liquid nail some carpet to the bottom.

antharper

Staff member
Thanks y’all , I’m thinking about using the ramp right beside hwy74 , any others that y’all would recommend , I’m gonna give it a try probably Monday , maybe do a little bass fishing or bream , mainly gonna put out some limb lines for a flathead

OleCountryBoy

this is about 30 minutes from my house. How deep is the water we talking about on the channel cats? and is this up from the 74 landing or down?

antharper

Staff member
I guess not to many on here fish this area

Lindseys Grandpa

I guess not to many on here fish this area
From what i have been told its real rocky and shallow in places lots of opportunity for motor damage. The area closest to that ramp in Woodbury is iffy at best. I have never fished it but have fished the Flint upstream above Flat Shoals and know a guy who used to catch some huge flatheads there. Its also rocky and shallow lot of boat dragging.

antharper

Staff member
Got about 20 limb lines out this afternoon , didn’t fish much due to getting stormed on and was soaking wet and wanting some dry clothes on , did catch 2 largemouth and enough bluegill for supper , also seen a little gator , beautiful river but didn’t get to far from landing , maybe have a picture of a big flathead in the morning 2AB50535-D9E2-42C2-B8FA-D97A5F485D2C.jpeg89A3683A-7FDA-491A-A6E8-035C9BFFAE8B.jpeg00FDFC07-CCAA-43BC-9CAF-2C7AEF1E005F.jpeg

BigBass123

That area didn’t look like gator habitat at all...wasn’t expecting the possibility of running into one while wading.

Might be why that one pictured looks funny.

antharper

Staff member
Ha ha , my daughter spotted it and we got close and it wouldn’t move , we left it and came back by a hr later and it was still there and she thought it wasn’t real , so I pulled really close , enough to splash water on it . It was real and alive , only about 3ft , we did catch one flathead on our limb lines, had one hook straightened out also 4FA412FB-556F-4D7E-9BA7-E8016A1D352B.jpeg

OleCountryBoy

I fished for catfish on the Flint river at White Oak Creek landing near Gay this past Friday night. Didn't catch a thing! River is shallow, avg 4 ft, some places 2 or less. Deepest hole I found near the landing ~8ft. My 1860 roughneck is too big, I'm going back in a little jon boat so I can get around and catch a few bass and bream. Beautiful place!

Mexican Squealer

I used to run and fish the section from white oak landing to flat shoals a bunch in my teens/twenties...had a 16 ft John boat with a 60 mercury jet on it. Pretty sure I caught (and released) a state record contender of a shoal bass on a wolly bugger and a 5wt. Good times

Lindseys Grandpa

I fished for catfish on the Flint river at White Oak Creek landing near Gay this past Friday night. Didn't catch a thing! River is shallow, avg 4 ft, some places 2 or less. Deepest hole I found near the landing ~8ft. My 1860 roughneck is too big, I'm going back in a little jon boat so I can get around and catch a few bass and bream. Beautiful place!
If you willing or able to drag back across some shoals go south you will come to a area known as the sea. Its a for lack of better term natural lake with a island on lower side. It is over 60ft deep. I have seen some monster gar in there and know a guy who used to catch some monster flatheads years ago. the Pike county side of river has been developed below it so it may be fished out.

Phoda

If you willing or able to drag back across some shoals go south you will come to a area known as the sea. Its a for lack of better term natural lake with a island on lower side. It is over 60ft deep. I have seen some monster gar in there and know a guy who used to catch some monster flatheads years ago. the Pike county side of river has been developed below it so it may be fished out.
I'm looking on the map but not seeing "the sea" you mentioned. Is it part of the river or is it the lake above Molena?