Flintlock question

longbowdave1

I do not own flintlock. How troublesome are misfires? Do yo experience them often. Did one cost you a deer or two? Just wondering how they workout for you?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They're pretty reliable once you learn how to keep them reliable. I've had a couple misfires at deer over the years on wet days, but it's just part of it. If you have a good quality lock and good sharp flint, they are quite reliable. They killed every buffalo and elk in the eastern US, and just about every deer.

longbowdave1

Thanks guys. I was watching some novices on videos. They had multiple misfires, sometimes more than one on a deer. I realize many times its operator error. I have two sidelocks, but no flintlocks. More winter cabin fever video watching.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I was watching some novices on videos. They had multiple misfires, sometimes more than one on a deer. I realize many times its operator error. I have two sidelocks, but no flintlocks. More winter cabin fever video watching.
There is a learning curve, but once you figure it out, you shouldn't have any trouble. If they were having that many misfires, they either had a really crappy rifle, or they didn't know what they were doing.

GeorgiaBob

Number one problem with newbies and misfires is improperly secured flint. Either the flint is not clamped tight in a leather grip, at the correct strike angle, or the wrong portion of the flint is facing the striker plate. NC is right, the flint needs to be sharp. But it also needs to be positioned to generate sparks at the same time the falling flint is pushing an opening so the sparks hit black powder.

If you get a flintlock, it isn't difficult to practice positioning the flint, dry firing, and practicing repositioning the flint. I suggest that you also put a few grains of powder in the pan and verify that the sparks are reaching powder. That's something that can be done at home. After a few trips to somewhere you can safely target shoot, you can become "expert" in avoiding sparkless misfires. Then all you have to do is keep your powder dry, your rifle clean, to shoot straight, and remember to hold steady when the pan flashes.

SASS249

Georgia Bob is on the nose correct. Once you spend the time really learning the flintlock having misfires in hunting situations is not common. Wet rainy days being the biggest challenge. Thing with a flintlock is each one is slightly different. You need to spend range time to be certain of how YOUR rifle needs to be set up. I have never had a misfire or flash in the pan hinting. I have at the range when you are firing multiple shots and can get a little lazy being sire your flint is sharp.

longbowdave1

Most of the videos I wat had were out of Pennsylvania. One feller was set up in a double bull blind, shooting sabots out of his lock, hald a Caldwell rest to hold the rifle, and a bunch of cameras. Didn't seem very traditional. He also even said he had little confidence in his rifle firing???? I think just a hunter extending his hunting with a different weapon. All hunting is good to me, just seemed like a mismatched hunt. Others from PA were very good with their flints.

longbowdave1

Yessir, and I know better. I aways make my own flints, and once I switched to our local "blue ice" , I seldom even have to sharpen a flint anymore. It`s the most durable stone I have ever seen.
Do you have a picture of a piece of your flint? I assume the are fairly small,??

flconch53

The description of a Flintlock hunter shooting sabots sends up a red flag to me
The biggest thing about a good shooting glinted is a quality lock. Production companies that are marketing fast twist sabot capable barrels often don't pay close enough attention to lock geometry and frizzen tempering.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The description of a Flintlock hunter shooting sabots sends up a red flag to me
The biggest thing about a good shooting glinted is a quality lock. Production companies that are marketing fast twist sabot capable barrels often don't pay close enough attention to lock geometry and frizzen tempering.

This. Also makes me wonder if he was using a BP substitute instead of the real thing.

longbowdave1

The entertaining part of the one video is the fact that he admitted he missed a nice buck the day day before due to failed ignition. He comes back the next day with doubt his gun will fire cause he made no adjustments or corrections. Then he does get a doe after trying multiple times to fire on the doe. He banked on the hope and pray method, rather on the learn, adjust, and earn method. I admit I don't know how to operate a flintlock, but I would by the time I decided to hunt with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The entertaining part of the one video is the fact that he admitted he missed a nice buck the day day before due to failed ignition. He comes back the next day with doubt his gun will fire cause he made no adjustments or corrections. Then he does get a doe after trying multiple times to fire on the doe. He banked on the hope and pray method, rather on the learn, adjust, and earn method. I admit I don't know how to operate a flintlock, but I would by the time I decided to hunt with it.
He sounds like a fairly lazy, irresponsible person. Hunting with a flintlock doesn't usually go like that. If I can kill a deer with a flintlock, anybody can. :)

Esau

I have been hunting with a sidelock for several years. I use real black powder and really enjoy it. I would like to switch to a flintlock. Do you guys have a suggestion on a good one to buy?