FLOODED DADGUMMIT!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Man, we got a bunch of rain today...Just got back from a drive-by on my traps and I am officially flooded out.

Half a dozen are actually under water right now.

Digger gonna need a snorkel if I am gonna catch him tonight!! :LOL::mad:

buckpasser

You know it’s only a matter of time before you get into beaver trapping too, right? Might as well embrace it.

Doug B.

You know it’s only a matter of time before you get into beaver trapping too, right? Might as well embrace it.
I've tried to persuade him.
I have had beaver traps flooded out too! Some people are water trappers. Some people are land trappers. I be doggone, I like them both!!!!

Ol' Gobblero

E9002074-2E32-494E-9E75-4DC7184A07FD.jpeg
Don’t let the rain discourage you. Caught this one last night on a farm that got 7.5 inches yesterday. Stock pile sandy dirt in buckets. Use it in your trap bed. Bed your trap solid. Sift peat moss over the trap, no pan cover. Then sift native dirt from around the trap area on top of the peat to blend it in.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Gob!

I got em all touched back up today, and only two are still waterlogged. Luckily most of my sets are in sandy soil, and I am confident they will work just fine.

Just need Digger to come back thru!

I am gonna take your suggestion on the peat moss, I like the idea.

Doug B.

View attachment 1078447
Don’t let the rain discourage you. Caught this one last night on a farm that got 7.5 inches yesterday. Stock pile sandy dirt in buckets. Use it in your trap bed. Bed your trap solid. Sift peat moss over the trap, no pan cover. Then sift native dirt from around the trap area on top of the peat to blend it in.
Good catch! If I catch one here after a rain like that it looks like a mud ball and the catch circle is sloppy mud!

buckpasser

View attachment 1078447

I’ve really been considering the peat moss thing. How much depth on the moss and how much on the soil? I’ve gotten to where I bed my traps hard, pack the dirt inside the jaws and around the perimeter, but not over the levers, then dust them in and level it out. That technique only produces maybe a 1/8” to 1/4” on the pan and edge of jaws, but I know some trappers are set much deeper. What say you?

Doug B.

I’ve really been considering the peat moss thing. How much depth on the moss and how much on the soil? I’ve gotten to where I bed my traps hard, pack the dirt inside the jaws and around the perimeter, but not over the levers, then dust them in and level it out. That technique only produces maybe a 1/8” to 1/4” on the pan and edge of jaws, but I know some trappers are set much deeper. What say you?
I dig my trap bed and set and bed my trap. Then I pack peat moss/dirt around the outside. I put polyfil under the pan and pack peat moss on the inside of the trap jaws. It don't pack as good as dirt, but if you keep packing it will get tight. That is why I use the polyfil. Then I put just enough peat to cover the trap and sift dirt from the set on top of the peat. Just enough dirt that you no longer see the peat moss. It works for me.

Doug B.

I do pre-sift my peat moss.

Sometimes I can still barely see my trap pan when I sift a thin layer of dirt over the whole set.