Florida Bucks (not as bad as people think)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I saw a really nice buck standing on the side of highway 98 in the middle of Tyndall Airforce Base. He was a big 8pt.

There are trophy deer everywhere in the southeast. Just some states produce more of them on a more frequent basis than others.

On average your chances of shooting a 150 class deer are better in Georgia than in Florida or South Carolina.

But, that's not to say there are plenty in Florida and South Carolina. I've seen some hoss's in Woods and Water Publication down in Florida. It opened my eyes up for sure. I've also seen some sure nuff hoss's standing on the side of the road out near Ridgeland and Beaufort S.C.

Tommy

hambone44

Well, this thread got sidetracked by me as well as others...it never was comparing Florida deer to Northern deer or Georgia deer; as I recall it was titled :

"Florida Bucks (not as bad as people think)"

mkg 1023

tampaspicer said:
Dixie :rolleyes:

I only hunt Apalachicola with one of my good friends. His dad lives in the forest and I must say I haven't had any problems there. That place is huge. We run dogs with a bunch of our friends there later in the year after Georgia starts to end. We do more B.S.in than anything when I'm up there. I never go expecting to kill anything just like having fun with friends. :D
"Dixie" Good gosh man that ain't NorthFlorida i like to think North Fl as everything west and north of Startin in Wakulla county/lol. :flag: I bet you did have a lot of attitude down there. truth be know we true blue florida crackers up in these parts relate with our south Georgia brothern a whole lot better then most of our own state. Now ya talkin when you say you were up in the Apalachicola forrest don't hunt in there, but sure do fish and hang out in that forrest have my whole life, we got a fish camp in there. I would put the beauty of that place up against any wonder in the world. I prob know your freinds dad, if i don't i know soembody that does i bet. small world when you get down there in terms of# people folk.

hambone44

Now I know why Tampa doesn't believe there are any good deer in North Florida and goes on up to Georgia...if i had to hunt in the Apalachicola nat'l Forest with the other 9000 hunter's dog huntin' in there , i would quit altogether for fear of gettin' shot and/or fear of never even gettin' a glimpse at a truly big buck. If I were a big buck in that forest, i would be so far in tate's big toebig toebig toebig toe swamp during huntin' season as to never be seen, and that is about the case from what i understand.

hambone44

Well, I certainly have to agree Georgia would provide your best opportunity at a 140 or above buck, if you have a good place.
The reason I rambled on the Apalachicola Nat'l forest was b/c I know people who hunt there and I rode through there last deer season just looking (no weapon) and could barely get down several roads for all the orange vested dog "hunters" beside and in the road, and also b/c I have not, in 30 years of deer hunting one county above the forest, heard of very many big bucks killed in there (130+), not to say there haven't been a few, though.

I love that forest and frequently ride through there just looking, and sometimes photographing in there. We also do a lot of fishing in the creeks and rivers which flow through there. Sure is a pretty place to be (if you don't get shot). ;)

that pic look familiar?

Attachments

• forest.jpg
    forest.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 105

hambone44

Well , shining one seems like it would be a good way to locate the antlered one for the dogs, but be careful, if I am not mistaken, the game commission can get you these days for "harrassment" of wildlife. I tell ya, they come up with anything, don't they? They'll let you kill one stone dead during the day, but you can't even shine a light on em at night or your'e "harrassing". :crazy:

Timberman

This one is from Chattahoochee(well, actually between ch and rock bluff) Florida supposedly found dead.

008261.jpg

Just 1 More

You would have a VERY hard time convincing me that any of those deer were killed in Florida... NOT ON A GAME RANCH

Timberman

Well the 3 together were free ranging from Alberta and Sask, no GAME RANCH.

The other one was in a barn west of the Norway community in Gadsden co Fla at a gentlemans home where I called on him to buy his timber. I asked the history of the head and he said he had found it dead anumber of years back. I was able to get him to take some pics of me with it. That was in the 80's and to my knowledge there were no GAME RANCHES around in Gadsden co at that time. :)

mkg 1023

Timberman said:
Whoops! I meant this one. SOrry. ;)

082072.jpg
Timberman didn't you post that pic along time ago on here, i belive i member seein it. I have no probelm at all believing that last pic was a legitimate free roaming wild Gadsden county buck. Now the first pic looks like a bunch ol boys at soembody's deer camp up north gettin real excited about some show nuff Northern bone.

Timberman

I did show it awhile back mkg. As to the pic of the 3 bucks, it was certain that the floor was level, cuz the slobber was dripping evenly out both sides of my mouth...