Floridian moving to Georgia

10sne1

Sorry, here comes another one of us that have been driven from our native state. We have had a cabin in Madison for 10 years. Anyone open to mentor my wife and me on what and where to buy a small hunting property near some quiet fishing ramps? My wife is the hunter and I like to bass fish! I plan to retire in a year or two and working on getting info on where in Georgia, near Madison we would like to buy land.
please message me if you would be open to have a dialog on helping me with quest.
Thanks Tomm and Laura

RustyH

I check Zillow every few days for land in Oconee NF, up around Redlands. Prices have doubled to tripled over the last 2 years. It’s been almost impossible to see anything pop up over last few months in there unless it’s a lake lot. I have come close on 2 spots but the price was just too much for what it was. You can expect no less than 10K an acre on lots over 5 acres, anything less than 5 or 1 acre are going to be absolutely ridiculous priced. There was a spot that came up near the campground (in Redlands) on the Oconee river for 200K and it sold in less than one week.

Conversely, I also search Georgetown FL and Ocala NF for anything good down there, same thing as up here, when something does come up; it is just priced so STUPID that I am not willing to pay it.

bilgerat

Senior
I bought a small tract in Jasper co 4 years ago, its kinda centered between lakes Oconee, Sinclair . Jackson and Julliette and surrounded by 10s of thousands of acres of Oconee nat forest and the Piedmont NWR. , Only drawback is the land prices are getting up there due to it being an awesome area. My little place has doubled in value since I bought it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Georgia full time. Do you subscribe to GON magazine? Lots of land for sale every month.

Good luck !!!

10sne1

Crackerdave- why did you leave Florida and pick Ga. ?

psedna

UAEC
Sorry PERM Application and Green Card are typically taking eight to ten years for Florida residents to move to Georgia, and the cost is approx $15,000. Only India is longer from backlog perspective.

And the additional expense of hiring an immigration attorney.

Not sure it would be worth it for most folks to be honest...

Just something to think about and share with your fellow state residents.

OwlRNothing

Sorry PERM Application and Green Card are typically taking eight to ten years for Florida residents to move to Georgia, and the cost is approx $15,000. Only India is longer from backlog perspective.

And the additional expense of hiring an immigration attorney.

Not sure it would be worth it for most folks to be honest...

Just something to think about and share with your fellow state residents.

Plus the bears here are on crack and love eating Floridians and people who moved to Florida and then decided it wasn't for them. I know, b/c I had a long talk with a bear one night on the banks of Noontootla creek and he was just uninterested in eating me b/c I was a native to Georgia. He said somethin' about the taste of pork rinds and me smelling like red clay? Dunno.

10sne1

Well put, , thus my “sorry“ at the beginning of my thread! I understand we taste like Crackers! 10 years wait list works for me, as I have had our Madison cabin for over 10 years, so I see myself qualified. In Lew’s of the $15k entrance fee can I bring truly largest, large mouth bass strain of Florida to help with Georgia’s stocking program? All in fun. Maybe we can meet and share fishing lies!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Well put, , thus my “sorry“ at the beginning of my thread! I understand we taste like Crackers! 10 years wait list works for me, as I have had our Madison cabin for over 10 years, so I see myself qualified. In Lew’s of the $15k entrance fee can I bring truly largest, large mouth bass strain of Florida to help with Georgia’s stocking program? All in fun. Maybe we can meet and share fishing lies!
Just don't be bringing any of those Florida deer up here. Grab a half dozen of those Florida Panthers and drop them off around Macon.

psedna

UAEC
Just keep letting us visit Apalach,St George, Port St. Joe and spring training baseball and we will call it even, especially since you already have the immigration required
ten year waiting period completed.

Still think the concept of a toll for Florida tags to enter Georgia on I 75, say $100 (150 for trucks pulling a tractor, a four wheeler, or ATV) a vehicle though could still be a good idea (I enjoy the above places but dont go down there as often as they come up here)... Geez, we could do away with Ga state income tax with that one move!

Maybe a GON poll on this concept would confirm if it is a good idea or not?