Fly line recommendations

Qazaq15

I bought a 6wt fly fishing setup years ago, and I'm finally starting to use it for bream and bass. It has floating, WF line and I typically throw small popping bugs. I've been looking at replacing the fly line, and wonder if anyone is any recommendations. Is there a good mid range brand, or should I just suck it up and pay for the high end stuff? I can cast the current line pretty well, but I know that line included with a setup of any kind is usually garbage.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to spend a fortune, but don't get the cheapest one you can find. For what you're doing, any mid-range line will serve you well. No need to pay $100 for one. Rio or Orvis or Scientific Anglers mid-grade, Cortland 444, all good.

Lilly001

What are you getting when you buy 100 dollar line? Is it really that much better?
I’ve found that the higher grade maintain their lubricicity longer between cleanings and they tend to float a little higher.
I guess it’s all subjective to the user.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What are you getting when you buy 100 dollar line? Is it really that much better?
A little bit. I guess it depends on the type of fishing you do. If you mostly fish small streams for trout or farm ponds for bream and bass, you'll probably never notice it. If you're fishing the flats for bonefish, tarpon, and permit, you probably will.

crackerdave

I bought a 6wt fly fishing setup years ago, and I'm finally starting to use it for bream and bass. It has floating, WF line and I typically throw small popping bugs. I've been looking at replacing the fly line, and wonder if anyone is any recommendations. Is there a good mid range brand, or should I just suck it up and pay for the high end stuff? I can cast the current line pretty well, but I know that line included with a setup of any kind is usually garbage.
If you're casting good with your current line why replace it?

Concrete Pete

Watch Sierra Trading post if your not chomping at the bit. They usually have decent deals on good fly lines.