Fly rods.

Jarred

What is your opinion of a 5-6 or 7-8 weight rod for under $50. Just need a good small stream durable fly rod. 8 1/2 or 9 ft.

fishnpreacher

I fish mostly small streams and use rods in the 6'6" to 7'6" range. Personally I think anything over 7-6 is a bit long for small streams. If you are looking for a strictly small stream rod, look for a 7ft 3 or 4 wt rod. Eagle Claw Granger had them last year for 39 bucks. I know several who bought them over the 'net, and they can be found in some sporting goods stores also. Here is a link to a Granger 7ft 3wt

http://www.troutlet.com/Eagle-Claw-Granger-IM7-Fly-Rods-P216.aspx

Also check out Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I had one of these rods, with a different reel, and it performed well.

Jarred

Well I will probably use it on a few rivers, but just wanted a very versatile rod.

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Prolly the best deal that you are going to get in that range is the Scientific Anglers starter kit for trout fishing. It sells for about $70-80 at Wally mart and around $100 at Dick's and other places.

The rod has decent casting qualities for the price range, and I know of some clinics that use them for instruction. The quality of the flyline is a lot better in that one than other kits because it is from SA.

WinMag.300

my fav

my fav rod is my pflueger trion...i got it for under 60 bucks and it has handled a lot and i mean a lot of big fish. It casts well for me, mends well and I just love it...it looks pretty good to.

fishndoc

I think the best "cheap" fly rod around are the old Fenwick fiberglass rods - 5 and 6 Wts in 7 1/2 ft lengths are fairly common, and you can pick one up on ebay for ~$50.

They have a nice, classic, slow action, and work well for dry flies and nymphs.

My first fly rod was one of these, and although I now own over 20 rods (God, I hope the wife never looks in the fishing gear closet), I still fish it several times each year.

Wayne