Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Paymaster I sent you a Pm.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Back atcha Branch.

bucktail

I have run across the holes on the upper Hooch with a bunch of holdovers as well. Usually an olive Woolly Bugger will work, no bead. But, a hairs ear or pheasant tail works really well too. I have found that the trout that tend to be held over from one season are a little more skittish about taking a Y2K. Either that or I was already there and caught them before you. hahaha. Once they have been there for two seasons or more and have moved beyond the stocking points they will take a Y2K a little more readily. But, by then, if they are willing to eat, they can be taken on so much else. I guess it just depends on what you like to use. I'm still in the beginning of my tying hobby, but I have stopped buying flies. It was about the only way for me to get better at tying. Joining a swap also helps. I have been part of a few over at NGTO. They help you practice because your tie a bunch of the same fly and you get to see what others tie.

Branchminnow

Pay master include one of the Y2K fleis as well if you tie those.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I will include two Y2K bugs. They look similar but are tied slightly different. For anyone who wants to know, here is what a Y2K Bug looks like.

Attachments

• Y2K Bug.JPG
    Y2K Bug.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 101

Branchminnow

I think that even I can remember what that one looks like and what to call it.:eek:

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I was hoping you guys would post some pictures -- Good looking flys guys...

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Here is another HT. I am sending this to Branchminnow today. It is a Royal Coachman Streamer. Do you flyfish or tie HT?

Attachments

• Royal Coachman.JPG
    Royal Coachman.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 227

Branchminnow

Paymaster said:
Here is another HT. I am sending this to Branchminnow today. It is a Royal Coachman Streamer. Do you flyfish or tie HT?
Got one of those I wear alot on Sunday Mornings.:cool:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Me too Branch. Though, them Hatclip/Tieclips are hard to hold on to. Someone is asking for one most everytime I wear them. Just about everyone at Church has one. One lady wears one in her hair.The fly pictured is a fishable size however. The ones on the clips are much larger.

Branchminnow

Paymaster said:
Me too Branch. Though, them Hatclip/Tieclips are hard to hold on to. Someone is asking for one most everytime I wear them. Just about everyone at Church has one. One lady wears one in her hair.The fly pictured is a fishable size however. The ones on the clips are much larger.
Everytime someone says "I like that" I always say yes it serves a dual purpose I can go to church on Sunday morning and if I see a creek I want to fish on the way back home I just pull off the tie and get at it.:bounce:

alex30808

Excellent thread fellas...I used to tie a little...at the end of my fly tying career I tied for 27 guides all across the southeast and midwest...and for 17 shops, like Unicoi Outfitters, Fly Chucker,and Hiawassee Outfitters....I tied close to 15,000 flies per year on average to shops alone...and also tought fly tying classes at differnt Orvis Dealers in Ga and Sc...At the time I did not have the internet so learning was all up for grabs and I had to learn the hardway...the thing for me was I live in Dearing Ga and there are NO trout streams with in 2 hours drive...so pattern testing was done on spur of the moment "vacations". I have now resorted to makeing Custom Turkey Calls and have for the past 5 years tied flies at the NWTF Ga Chapter's Annual Convention held in Helen Ga at Unicoi Lodge. I was not able to tie this year because of the busyness of the show...So if you have been to a Ga State Convention at Unicoi..and seen a short fat guy tyin' flies...well that was me. If yall are wanting to get a fly swap going...count me in...or if you have any questions about fly tying I am more than willing to share what I know.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Hey Alex30808 ,welcome aboard. Yeah I will probably start a swap thread soon. We,Glenn and I, have tried to get swaps going before without much response. Seems like there is a few more tyers here now, so I may try again soon. Thanks for posting. Look forward to your post in the future.:cool:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I am hosting a swap. Please see Fly Swap thread.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Fwhitker said:
Hey Paymaster! what is the tail of that coachman's tail made of?
The Tail is Golden Pheasant Tippets. Hope you join the swap. It'll be fun.