Flyfishing Newbie

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,
This forum, pic's, and conversations with Bitteroot has flung a severe craving on me to get into Flyfishing. My last experience 20 years ago left me with a bream popping bug thru my ear.a long drive home and removal left me traumatized. I think the fear of doing that again is finally past.
Anyway, with christmas coming i've decided to get a flyfishing outfit. A day on Ebay left me bewildered by the selection. So.... i'm looking for a combo for a beginner that will be functional but not break the bank. I found this at Wal-mart and it looks perfect to me, but i wanted your opinions and better yet if you have it, what did you think?
http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/m...de=SA24SSKO&Screen=SCRNSHOT&scrnshot_offset=1
here's what the description says:
Scientific Angler - Concept 2 Fly Reel
20 lb. Pre-spooled backing, AST Ultra 3 Floating Fly line and Tapered Leader
4-piece graphite, 8', 5/6-wt. rod
Custom Fly Assortment
2 DVD Set - "Fly Fishing Made Easy" AND "Panfish and Bass by Larry Dahlberg"

Please don't tell me to save up and buy a Sage, orvis, or Loomis. At most, this will only be used 2 or 3 times per year.
Looking forward to participating in a new sport for me. Thanks, Robert

ronmac13

It should work fine.

I use to have a rig i paid like 12 bucks for.

I wore the fish out of the little creek behind my house in ny with.

Sure do miss it, but i know what i want for Christmas now.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
what are you looking to fish for???
trout only.
however, after looking around today at Wallyworld and american outdoors, I'm gonna back off and read up some more.
I picked up an Orvis 9ft 5w flex tip just to see what a good rod is supposed to feel like. Compared to the Orvis, the cheap rods felt like buggy whips. couple that with the huge variety of reels, flies, line, tippets, and gadgets that i'm clueless about, and i just need to wait til i know what all this "stuff" is for.

allenww

New flyfisherman

Yes, there is a difference between the less expensive and higher dollar equipment. But you can catch fish with either.

My opinion is that your rod will do the work - focus your $$ there and on your flyline.

wa

speechless33759

I agree with allenww, get the best possible rod you can on your budget then the flyline...plastic reels you can get almost free nowadays. Just like the others, consider this a warning....if you manage to have a good outing with your rod on trout, your powerbait and corn stash will be untouched. I haven't put on powerbait for years now.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
rhbama...do yourself a favor and go to the bass pro....TFO makes a great starter rod with really good feel for the money....you wont be disappointed...and they usually run some good combo deals with the TFO's including rod, reel, line and a case.....ive fished with them and actually have a 3 weight TFO that i love...and ive fished the high dollar rods...i have Sage and the TFO and more times than not take the TFO....just try em anyway.

I've had several peeps recommend TFO. definitely taking notice. Unfortunately, Bass Pro is a 3 hour trip to Macon for me. Since there aren't any trout down here, pickings are slim. There isn't a rush, so hopefully by the time christmas is here, I'll have a TFO from Santa!

croaker

rhbama,

Don't limit yourself to Trout only on the fly.
There are many other fish that are big fun and, in walking
distance to most folks in GA.

Racer X

rhbama,

Don't limit yourself to Trout only on the fly.
There are many other fish that are big fun and, in walking
distance to most folks in GA.

That's excellent advice right there.

I've got one thing to add. Learn to cast. A VERY high percentage of fly fishers out there can't cast. Develop your skill and your tastes will develop along with it.

fwhitaker

good cheap Rods

Eagle Claw Granger = Great beginner back up rod for $30
IM6 Graphite Rod blank - just like all the big boys
Lifetime Replacement Warranty

The TFO is a great lower priced rod, it is the same rod as a mid grade Sage or Scott(except for the Axiom), but since its made in Korea its cheaper.
Professional $125
TiCr - $170
Axiom - $225 (One of the best rods on the market, especially for the price)

Also check out NGTO (North Georiga Trout Online), its a very similar forum, but for trout fishing. their is a "swap shop" with people selling stuff all the time for good prices.

Toxic

Listen to Croaker, I have been flyfishing for over 31 years and have yet to fish for trout. Bream and bass are my fish of choice. Don't limit yourself to just one species.