Foam spider bodies

fish hawk

Bass Master
I know river road creations makes the foam spider and beetle cutters that cuts the blank of a spider or beetle to be tied but if your using a flat piece of foam it will be flat on top unlike store bought foam bodies which are cylindrical on top and flat on the bottom.Does this make a difference in the way the body will float or am I over thinking it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt if it makes much difference one way or another. You can get the foam cylinders and split them, too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Keith, I` still just a rank beginner, but I make my foam spider bodies out of sheet foam that I cut out with scissors. They`re flat on top and bottom, but they always float hook down, like they supposed to.

I wondered that myself till I tried them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The fish can't see the top of it, anyway.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks fellas.I was concerned on how it would float.What thickness foam do y'all like?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks fellas.I was concerned on how it would float.What thickness foam do y'all like?
Depends on the pattern. I use anywhere from 1mm to 3mm foam. As well as the foam cylinders. Some patterns, it's doubled/glued and stacked, or folded back over itself. It's all pretty durn floaty.

Bigtimber

I don't think it matters....I do think color makes a big difference....and I do think painting or spotting the bottom with sharpies makes a big difference. Try it out sometimes if you get into a good brim hole.....I swear I catch more with the dots or stripes. Yellow with the red dots hard to beat around here.

jigman29

Run to hobby lobby or walmart and get enough sheet foam to last you a lifetime for a few bucks. I still cut my hopper bodies with a hobby knife and the fish haven' told me they wanted an upgrade yet lol.

F.A.R.R.

Have tied and fished with the round foam and strips cut from flat sheet foam.

Makes no difference at all to the way the fly floats and the fish seem to like them both the same