Folsom points and bear grease

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Agree. I’m wondering if they all didn’t have some great trick to flute them that we don’t know of.

I could flute my reproduction Clovis points by percussion, and they probably did too. I know of one knapper that could flute a Folsom with pressure, but he had a lot of strength. As for Cumberlands, they would have just about had to have been lashed into a frame and then lever fluted, in my opinion.

ddd-shooter

I could flute my reproduction Clovis points by percussion, and they probably did too. I know of one knapper that could flute a Folsom with pressure, but he had a lot of strength. As for Cumberlands, they would have just about had to have been lashed into a frame and then lever fluted, in my opinion.
The guy on the show was using a lever. Pretty neat to see

KentuckyHeadhunter

Great watch! I think Cumberland points are just as fascinating. Very long flutes all the way to the tip. Don't hear much about that culture.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Or indirect percussion. I saw a feller at the North Georgia Knap-in one time fluting a Folsom indirect.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Posted this in the bear forum, thought y’all would enjoy as well.

On the meateater youtube channel there’s a show called the bear grease roadshow. Todays episode is about Folsom points and bear hunting.
Very much worth a watch.
Listen to the Bear Grease podcast. It's about the best one out there, IMO.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Great watch! I think Cumberland points are just as fascinating. Very long flutes all the way to the tip. Don't hear much about that culture.

I can`t find a lot about the Cumberland Culture either. In my opinion, the Cumberland is the most difficult point on earth to reproduce. I personally know only one knapper who can reproduce them with any consistency.

It is a most impressive point.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can`t find a lot about the Cumberland Culture either. In my opinion, the Cumberland is the most difficult point on earth to reproduce. I personally know only one knapper who can reproduce them with any consistency.

It is a most impressive point.
I think they were a very localized, short-lived culture. Their artifacts were very impressive.