Food plot help - too much seed??

Dean

Ok, food plot gurues - on a small plot (1/2 acre) that has been properly limed and fertilzed, can you put out too much seed with broadcast and cover? Small plot, so I want a really thick stand, thinking about BF oats, Austrian winter peas, Marshall ryegrass, Abur. wheat, and maybe overseed with DE rape. I am wondering if I can get away with putting out the 1 acre recommended amounts on a 1/2 acre plot?

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dean

That'll work but will be awfully thick. Watch the rape as it will overshadow erverything. I think the big thing is many people tend to put 4 or 5 varieties of seed and seed at rate of 1 acre per half acre. IF I was using a mix of granins and clover and nothing else then I might use a 50 # bag and then overseed lightly with rape. If the rape is too thick and it is too wet then you will get mold. Also do not plant rape for 2 straight years in the same plot.

Jeff Phillips

Dean - I know I often push the Marshall Rye, but be carefull with it in a mix like that. It can shade out everthing else. I would plant the other seeds 1st then fill in any thin spots with the Marshall Rye. If you have roads or trails leading into the plot, hit them with the Marshall Rye too.

Just my $.02 ;)

E

early riser

I never thought you could put out too much seed LOL, but I do know you can put out too much rape if you are mixing it in a plot with wheat rye and oats. The rape can take over and shade out the other plants because it has such broad leaves. They say you are only supposed to put so many pounds to the acre, but I like to almost cover the ground with my seed so when it comes up it's like carpet. I guess if you're watching your costs and don't mind some bare spots ,or it not being really thick you could seed less, but I seed by the way I want the thickness to come up, others go by the rule of pounds recommended to the acre depending on the type of seed you are planting.

I don't know that I have ever put down too many seeds, I may have wasted some seed and money by putting down too much, but I don't know that it has ever hurt the planting, unless you get too many plants for the moisture in the ground, but seems Mother Nature always gives you enough or too little rain wheather or not you have more or less seed anyway. (JMHO)

e.r.

gadeerwoman

I'm sure I always use too much seed on plots but I hate to see a bare spot of ground. With my rape, it's never been a problem because the deer don't let it grow tall enough to shade out anything. They keep it nipped off. ER and I could fund a seed store by ourselves with all the seed we put out. :D I figure a little to germinate, a little to feed the doves (darn doves !!), a lot to the crows, and a little left over for the turkeys. And some to get washed off down the Oconee River this year with all the rains.............

Gadget

I tend to over seed too. The only seed I've seen to really be a problem with over seeding is Rape. I'm sure if you put out enough you'd have problems with other seeds as well, but Rape can over take a food plot completely. I saw it last year on couple of plots. A guy on my propery planted a mixture of clovers, grains, peas, and rape. He over seeded with Rape and that was the only thing that grew in his plots; shaded everything else out.

Latest posts