Food plot next step question

GAbuckhunter88

My plots have done good this year and I want to keep them going, they are all knee deep with oats/wheat with one being thigh deep. The clover is going good underneath and my hope is to plant more clover in the fall to work these towards full clover plots.

For this summer I was thinking of broadcasting buckwheat and then mowing the plots tall as to not damage clover but give some cover to buckwheat seed then let it go until fall when I would spread my seed and mow again.
Thoughts? 1A2B319B-DC7F-47D9-BFF8-1FE41C77260D.jpeg

SRShunter

I like the mowing part, but the buckwheat might shade out the clover. Guess it depends on what type of clover you have planted. If it's a annual or perennial? Annual is gonna die anyway so the buckwheat idea might not be a bad one if that's what you have. These other guys will get you on the right path. They know their stuff

GAbuckhunter88

I like the mowing part, but the buckwheat might shade out the clover. Guess it depends on what type of clover you have planted. If it's a annual or perennial? Annual is gonna die anyway so the buckwheat idea might not be a bad one if that's what you have. These other guys will get you on the right path. They know their stuff

Thanks. I have crimson and white clover in the plots currently. We shall see how it goes.

GeorgeShu

I like buckwheat over seeded for the summer. I also include Alyse clover. Overseed them now and you will have food until first killing frost this fall. Buckwheat will seed out in 70ish days and self reseed for a second crop.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

SRShunter

I like buckwheat over seeded for the summer. I also include Alyse clover. Overseed them now and you will have food until first killing frost this fall. Buckwheat will seed out in 70ish days and self reseed for a second crop.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Can you find the alyse this year. I've been wanting to try it mainly due to you

Big7

The Oracle
Deer and most other critters will eat a mix of sorghum and brown top.

Super easy to put out and super low maintenance.

Latest posts