Food Plot Questions

douginga

I have a Ga Power ROA on my property that is approx. 2 acres. I planted approx. 1 acre of it this fall with a mix of Forager wheat, buck oats, winter peas, dwarf Essex rape, diakon radish, Dixie crimson clover etc. It has done ok but I know it should be better with proper soil ph etc. The deer are using the plot pretty heavy.

I had my soil tested just recently & my ph level is 5.3. The recommendations are 2.5 tons dolomitic lime, 50 lb nitrogen per acre, 20 lb phosphate per acre, & 40 lb potash per acre.

My questions are:

1) Should I go ahead apply the lime now on my existing plot & be able to wait until spring to till it & plant a warm season mix? Or does it need to be tilled in at application time? I really don't want to destroy my existing plot but I know it takes time to take effect.
2) Do I have enough lime need to get Ag lime bulk delivered & spread or will I need to use bagged pelletized. I have a funnel style spreader so I can spread pelletized but have no way to spread the powdery stuff.
3) Should I apply the fertilizer now to my existing plot or wait until I plant the warm season plot, I did apply a fertilizer back in Oct when I planted.
4) I'm in Covington, any recommendations on where to purchase my lime.

Thanks for any help, attaching a pic of the area as it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 370

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you are only going to plan to cover the 1 acre I would say use your tractor and cone spreader for the lime and fertilizer. You will have to use the pelleted lime as you mention above.

Lime takes time to work so sooner is better. Folks apply lime to pastures all the time with no tilling so it will help.

You will really mess up the plot now trying to drive a bulk truck or tractor on the land. Wait till it dries up some.

If you ever need bulk fertilizer or lime call Moon Crest farms in Monroe. Don Moon 404-276-4595

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
My questions are:

1) Should I go ahead apply the lime now on my existing plot & be able to wait until spring to till it & plant a warm season mix? Or does it need to be tilled in at application time? I really don't want to destroy my existing plot but I know it takes time to take effect.

To darned wet right now, so wait till it is much drier or frozen. You've got rolling hills and with a heavy rain, after it's been applied, could get washed down, so till it in, after it's been applied.

2) Do I have enough lime need to get Ag lime bulk delivered & spread or will I need to use bagged pelletized. I have a funnel style spreader so I can spread pelletized but have no way to spread the powdery stuff.

10,000 lbs of pelletized lime will cost you about $1000. 9 tons of bulk lime might cost you $500, spread. I'd bring a lime truck in, spread 3 tons/acre and have them drop the rest at the end of your field and cover it with a $20 tarp. Use it in your cone spreader mixed with fertilizer at a later time.

3) Should I apply the fertilizer now to my existing plot or wait until I plant the warm season plot, I did apply a fertilizer back in Oct when I planted.

Wait on the fertilizer till your ready to plant

4) I'm in Covington, any recommendations on where to purchase my lime.

Thanks for any help, attaching a pic of the area as it looks.

Not sure where to get bulk lime in Covington, tho

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If you are only going to plan to cover the 1 acre I would say use your tractor and cone spreader for the lime and fertilizer. You will have to use the pelleted lime as you mention above.

Lime takes time to work so sooner is better. Folks apply lime to pastures all the time with no tilling so it will help.

You will really mess up the plot now trying to drive a bulk truck or tractor on the land. Wait till it dries up some.

If you ever need bulk fertilizer or lime call Moon Crest farms in Monroe. Don Moon 404-276-4595

Ooopppsss missed that he was just going to plant 1 acre

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What they said. ^

As long as it isn't too wet any time is the right time to apply lime.