Food Question

I am fortunate enough to have soybeans to hunt over again this year, but we also have peanuts for the first time ever. What are tips about hunting over them that any of you may have to offer? I have heard that the best time is just after they have been harvested? Not sure what to believe, but they seem to have green leaves for forage, or will the deer eat the nuts themselves (digging, etc...?)

Buckfever

Hunt the soybeans and peanuts anytime you can, but in my experience the best soybean field hunting has been right after they have been harvested. If they're harvested in the afternoon be there the next couple of mornings and afternoons, this has proved to be the best times for me. Deer will eat the leaves on peanuts, and dig for the nuts at times. For the most part peanuts are dug before deer season starts, the fields are still great places to hunt, but for some reason deer don't tend to put up with much pressure in these areas. Late season peanut field hunts have produced several sightings for me, because some of the nuts left behind start to sprout and grow and the deer love this as long as cold wheather doesn't kill it off....BF

hunting 101

hunt the beans anytime you can. where there is a field of beans there WILL BE DEER. especially if there is no other beans close by. as for the peanuts deer will eat them anytime as well, but i think they prefer beans over most anything (even corn). they will eat beans from the time they sprout till they are harvested. and will eat peanuts long after they are harvested and will even dig them up.

Grand Slam

Hunt em while you can.

Consider yourself fortunate to have 2 outstanding crops to choose from. I have hunted both and both are very attractive, but watermelons is where its at. Hunt those if you ever get a chance.

GeauxLSU

Grand Slam said:
Consider yourself fortunate to have 2 outstanding crops to choose from. I have hunted both and both are very attractive, but watermelons is where its at. Hunt those if you ever get a chance.
Man I hope you're right about the melons. Little place I just bought is neighbored by hundreds of acres (literally) and hopefully I'll get permission to hun them! :clap:

Woodsman

Hunt the melons.....

I hunt were a few farmers grow melons. They both have had to get "kill permits" to save the crop. They claim to have taken 40 to 60 deer last year. And any melons we have planted in the past around our place won't make it to the picking time. Deer love any melon.
:cool: :shoot: :shoot: :bounce:

CAL

Everyone has given some good information.My experience with peanut fields is the deer will start digging the nuts late in the growing season.What I am getting at is they will go to the same spot to dig every time like that is the only place to get the nuts.If you hunt a peanut field,find that spot in the field and it will cut your odds down.