for all of you who like to whine about refs

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
It was a bum ref mistake. In good faith, the refs are ready to blow the whistle in an absolute hurry to stop the play clock. Hurry-up is when the refs are part of the game, just like running wide open to spot the ball for the next snap inside of a minute or two.

Nobody on the planet would argue it wasn't a backward pass. Nobody. But when the ref blew the whistle, the Auburn guys were re-grouping and the Arky guy picks up the ball. It's a whistle mistake. They couldn't change it on replay.

Nobody on the Auburn boards are real excited about it either. Bad deal all around.

reylamb

I'm a Dawg fan but recovering a muffed snap does not void spiking the ball to stop the clock once you have gained possession of the ball and it should still be considered an incomplete pass. If the same thing happened and he had thrown the ball downfield after recovering the booted snap it would have been called incomplete and the clock would stop.
Actually, yes, a muffed snap does void them spiking the ball to stop the clock, thus the call for intentional grounding, loss of down, and the 10 second runoff.....

It was a backwards pass, with a clear recovery.....

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
If you spike the ball backwards, it's a live ball for whoever picks it up. Which Nix did.

BamaGeorgialine

I'm a Dawg fan but recovering a muffed snap does not void spiking the ball to stop the clock once you have gained possession of the ball and it should still be considered an incomplete pass. If the same thing happened and he had thrown the ball downfield after recovering the booted snap it would have been called incomplete and the clock would stop.
I gotcha. I was thinking it would be incomplete if it was a forward pass. I thought that he threw it behind him

westcobbdog

Man that’s just wrong and Coach Pitt was really hot. Seems like the replay officials could correct the on the field bad call after reviewing the tape 10 times. Guess they don’t really know all the rules of football. AU is farting cherries.