For all those looking for a solar panel for their cameras

Anthony61

BANNED
I have tested and while it may work for a non-cellular camera, it will not provide enough power for a cellular camera.

shdw633

I have tested and while it may work for a non-cellular camera, it will not provide enough power for a cellular camera.

If utilized along with batteries in the camera how long would it extend the time between battery changes since most transmissions on a cell camera are at night when the solar panel is not generating power?

Anthony61

BANNED
What you have to understand is the advertisement is misleading to begin with. Yes it can do voltage regulation but you may assume it is 8 amp hour at 12V. Its not.

It is at most 1.5 amp hour at 12V. This is less than a set of standard alkaline batteries.

First of all if you had full sun.... None of my cell cameras get full sun.

and your cell camera got 4G LTE with 5 bars with very low activity then it might help you.

There are just too many variables with cellular to make any certain judgement:

signal strength, number of uploads per day, ratio of night to day, photo or video, full sun or dappled sunlight, etc.

With my cameras running a mixture of Verizon and AT&T, with AT&T sometimes going into 3G fallback mode it did not help much at all. With no batteries in the camera and running off this thing, it lasted a few days using my camera the way I like to in a forested environment.

I found that in full sun with moderate use and a good signal a 5W panel is good enough and in a forest environment 10 watt was required to keep my camera going perpetually which was my goal. The ad claims it is a 3W panel.

Its cheap enough so I think you could try it if you have full sun on your camera without much pain. In that environment it should provide an extension of battery life but I wouldn't expect perpetual function.

*HOWEVER*

Here is what you should compare too since extension is your goal rather than perpetual...

I bought two Powersonic 7 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries from Walmart.com delivered for $29.95. Delivered!

One 7 amp hour battery will greatly extend your battery life for only $15 (say 6+ weeks)... you with me? I wouldn't invest in a toy unless you just like experimenting.

sorry that was long. :)

shdw633

What you have to understand is the advertisement is misleading to begin with. Yes it can do voltage regulation but you may assume it is 8 amp hour at 12V. Its not.

It is at most 1.5 amp hour at 12V. This is less than a set of standard alkaline batteries.

First of all if you had full sun.... None of my cell cameras get full sun.

and your cell camera got 4G LTE with 5 bars with very low activity then it might help you.

There are just too many variables with cellular to make any certain judgement:

signal strength, number of uploads per day, ratio of night to day, photo or video, full sun or dappled sunlight, etc.

With my cameras running a mixture of Verizon and AT&T, with AT&T sometimes going into 3G fallback mode it did not help much at all. With no batteries in the camera and running off this thing, it lasted a few days using my camera the way I like to in a forested environment.

I found that in full sun with moderate use and a good signal a 5W panel is good enough and in a forest environment 10 watt was required to keep my camera going perpetually which was my goal. The ad claims it is a 3W panel.

Its cheap enough so I think you could try it if you have full sun on your camera without much pain. In that environment it should provide an extension of battery life but I wouldn't expect perpetual function.

*HOWEVER*

Here is what you should compare too since extension is your goal rather than perpetual...

I bought two Powersonic 7 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries from Walmart.com delivered for $29.95. Delivered!

One 7 amp hour battery will greatly extend your battery life for only $15 (say 6+ weeks)... you with me? I wouldn't invest in a toy unless you just like experimenting.

sorry that was long. :)

It's all good Anthony61, I wasn't looking at them for me as I run Moultrie Power Panels on all my cameras and get nearly perpetual battery life unless I am in the darkest of bottoms; but finding those 12v power panels is getting harder and harder now a days. I was looking for solutions to those out there that can't get their hands on one but are at least looking to prolong the time between trips to their areas to change batteries when I came across this panel.

Anthony61

BANNED
So, if you aren't creating a perpetual system.... why spend $60 ? when you can spend $15 for a 7 amp hour sealed lead acid battery ?

Its about bang for the buck. the battery is a better investment. for $29 I got two which means when the system is going dead I have a second one charged up to deploy on my trip to the camera.

For $60 I can get 4 true 7 AH 12V batteries and can install them on 4 cameras.... its a flexible alternative just thinking outside the box....

Heck I can wire the 4 batteries in parallel for a 28 amp hour... how long will that last? I'd say 6+ months.

shdw633

So, if you aren't creating a perpetual system.... why spend $60 ? when you can spend $15 for a 7 amp hour sealed lead acid battery ?

Its about bang for the buck. the battery is a better investment. for $29 I got two which means when the system is going dead I have a second one charged up to deploy on my trip to the camera.

For $60 I can get 4 true 7 AH 12V batteries and can install them on 4 cameras.... its a flexible alternative just thinking outside the box....

Heck I can wire the 4 batteries in parallel for a 28 amp hour... how long will that last? I'd say 6+ months.

Well, first I didn't know the panel wouldn't be a perpetual system for cellular, though it could be for conventional systems and that being said if I was going to a battery system I would go with the HME solar battery box for under $50 and convert the power cord to fit whatever camera I was utilizing if for, though I think it does fit several cameras already out there, I don't go that route because of I prefer to mount a panel on a tree as opposed to having it set on the ground.

Anthony61

BANNED
I wouldn't go with the HME because the panel is a toy sized panel just to get you to spend your money. Sorry I sound negative but I have done a lot of research and testing.

for $5 you can buy an ammo box at Harbor Frieght and make your own box. simple and cheap. for $10 you can buy a nice solar charge controller. for $15 you buy the sealed lead acid battery. for $25 or so you can get a real solar panel at 10 watts.

shdw633

I wouldn't go with the HME because the panel is a toy sized panel just to get you to spend your money. Sorry I sound negative but I have done a lot of research and testing.

for $5 you can buy an ammo box at Harbor Frieght and make your own box. simple and cheap. for $10 you can buy a nice solar charge controller. for $15 you buy the sealed lead acid battery. for $25 or so you can get a real solar panel at 10 watts.

This is easy if you are mechanically inclined I would suppose, which I am not unfortunately. You should make a video and post it on here the next time you make one. I would like to see how big it is and how to do it.

Sweet

Herd360..Highly Recommend..Mike can and will build to you specs..Have had 3 out on 3 Spartans..All 3 are partial sun..Been out since last Memorial Day..All 3 Batteries Are Full..