For Goodness Sake, Pay The Man

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Unless you know them, to heck with a down payment! Have them pay it all up front. No pay, no service. @C.Killmaster I thought the hunter bringing the meat had to provide his hunting license information? And if he don't have it, you can't legally process the meat? I'm sure a lot of small businesses won't ask for this info for fear of losing business, but I thought they were required by law to do so?

The hunter must provide their name, date of harvest, county of kill, and the Game Check confirmation number to the processor.

NCMTNHunter

My uncle is a taxidermist. He says the worst is when someone brings in their kids first deer and wants it mounted. If it’s a small buck he says they almost never come back for them. He also says that grown men will bring in small bucks to get mounted and when they do pick them up they accuse him of doing something to make the buck smaller. They kill a buck that is 15” wide, they spend all year telling their buddies it was 19” wide, then they’re disappointed that it has dried to 14”. Then they don’t want to pay.

rugerfan

I just think it is a waste of a deer to just shoot it for the antlers and then leave the meat at the processor and don't want to pay for it. I guess I would have to agree with the " yuppie trophy hunter" comment.

The two processors I have used over the last 2 seasons have complained about people not coming to get their meat. One of them told me last year that he may stop allowing people to take the antlers until the meat is paid for. As of right now he charges 20 dollars for a gut fee, 50 dollars for caping them out (must be paid before the cape job).

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Not sure if/why having information such as the hunter's license would help the processer collect the money due them. All processers I have ever use had al least your phone number so they could call you once the meat was ready. How would more information help the processer get paid?
I was just wanting to know if the hunter info was required or not.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I stopped by my local processor a week after season was over to see if he had any for a lady I work with . He said he did have quite a few but they were gone in a couple days .

rugerfan

Years ago a guy in the club I WAS in killed a doe and her two little ones. Drove into camp and within 15 minutes was asking if anyone wanted them!!!! This is the kind of folks that abandon the meat at the processor.

I would hope that someone in the club asked him why he shot them.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Processors can sell unclaimed deer to the public for the cost of the processing fee as Kmax said. I have a neighbor that buys one every year. Loves venison but don't hunt. :huh:

transfixer

The hunter must provide their name, date of harvest, county of kill, and the Game Check confirmation number to the processor.

many ,, or most processors don't ever ask for that, one I used last year I offered all that up,,, and they said , and I quote " we don't need that "

Meriwether Mike

If I was a processor I would create a database of names with unpaid balances and collect for any unpaid fees the next year before he could drop another one off. If you run off a customer who refuses to pay you did not lose much anyway.

Meriwether Mike

To punish the honest folk due to those who cheat the system is passive aggressive. Punish the cheaters. Not the honest folk. When the non payers have no place to drop off a deer they will change their habits.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
To punish the honest folk due to those who cheat the system is passive aggressive.

Asking for payment up front is not "punishing the honest folks".

I pay up front every time I order something off the internet. I never felt like I was being punished.