? For guys that process there own deer

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have a metal rack that fits in a 75 qt cooler that is about 4 inches high. I tilt that cooler drain end down with a tiny mesh screen over it to keep bugs and ants out. When I`m processing my deer I bone it out and place the boned out pieces on the rack, alternating ice and meat in layers. After aging for 5 to 7 days I`ll then cut and vacuum seal the meat.

Over the first 24 hours I`ll have to add a little ice as it cools the meat down but after that I seldom have to add much ice, if any.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have a metal rack that fits in a 75 qt cooler that is about 4 inches high. I tilt that cooler drain end down with a tiny mesh screen over it to keep bugs and ants out. When I`m processing my deer I bone it out and place the boned out pieces on the rack, alternating ice and meat in layers. After aging for 5 to 7 days I`ll then cut and vacuum seal the meat.

Over the first 24 hours I`ll have to add a little ice as it cools the meat down but after that I seldom have to add much ice, if any.

Yep. A good cooler is the key.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How do you put it in a cooler on ice, plug open and tilted, yet keep water away fromit?
By having the plug open and the cooler tilted. There isn't any water involved, What little melts from the ice goes right out the drain hole.

earlthegoat2

There is a special place somewhere for me because I process as soon as possible.

Usually sits for a few hours on ice because that is how long it takes to get back home from the property.

This method fits my lifestyle.

Gbr5pb

I usually process as soon as wife’s not home thin slice loins grind the rest because that’s eaten the most. Never add fat anymore be contrary to my low cholesterol diet. Skin put in ice chest as others with drain open until ready

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is a special place somewhere for me because I process as soon as possible.

Usually sits for a few hours on ice because that is how long it takes to get back home from the property.

I used to do that back decades ago, until I tried aging it and saw how much better it made it, in both texture and taste. I figure if I'm going to take something's life away, I owe it the respect of trying to utilize it in the best way possible.

huntfish

I do the same especially if I'm hunting out of state.

tell sackett

I used a refrigerator for a while. Took the shelves out and cut some rods to fit out of key stock and made some hooks out of stainless welding rod.

Gbr5pb

The best venison I’ve ever eaten was me and 4 friends had camp older guy liked to cook one of us kill a deer skin pull out side of loin he would fry up with biscuits and gravy. The meat never even got cool

CaptKeith

By having the plug open and the cooler tilted. There isn't any water involved, What little melts from the ice goes right out the drain hole.
Oh, I understand. The ice touches the meat, but the only water is what is trickling over the meat as it melts.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I understand. The ice touches the meat, but the only water is what is trickling over the meat as it melts.
I don't get the condescension? No, ice touching meat is 1000% different than meat soaking in water. Not that hard to understand. I have been putting up quite delicious meat like this for about 40 years. The ice doesn't hurt it near as much as drying out and getting that tough, dried crust on the outside that you have to cut off or it tastes like crap. If you don't want ice to touch yours, do it however you want. It's a free country, and they make chocolate and vanilla both.

CaptKeith

I don't get the condescension? No, ice touching meat is 1000% different than meat soaking in water. Not that hard to understand. I have been putting up quite delicious meat like this for about 40 years. The ice doesn't hurt it near as much as drying out and getting that tough, dried crust on the outside that you have to cut off or it tastes like crap. If you don't want ice to touch yours, do it however you want. It's a free country, and they make chocolate and vanilla both.
Oh no, no condescension whatever! Just thankful clarification!

Timberman

I hang the quarters in an old frig for 10 days or so. I've done the cooler ice thing and it works fine I just prefer a drier product. YMMV