For the kayakers that use a crate

aznflycaster

I like to use a crate when fishing out of the kayak. There were 3 problems I always had with it. The open top, everything getting cluttered, and it sat in the water (sot kayak). Well I decided to do some mods and they worked out for what I needed, and the best thing about it was I spent about 2 dollars on it.

I took 2 similar crates and cut the bottom of the spare to make the lid, the hinges are a couple of zipties and the latch is some spare bungee and an empty spool of line also ziptied.
2010-12-04_06-18-25_734.jpg

I then took and cut off the top section of the spare and used it to raise the crate a couple of inches to keep it out of the water. With the way the crates are designed to stack on one another it worked out perfectly. The 2 pieces are attached by drilling holes and using zipties.
2010-12-04_06-19-49_838.jpg

I then cut off a whole side piece and used zipties to create a divider, so when i pull out my lure container stuff would not roll under it.
2010-12-04_06-18-00_521.jpg

and this all you should left over.
2010-12-05_17-46-33_847.jpg

The materials I used were just 2 crates, bungee, and some zipties. I also attached some zipties to the back and top so when the lid was opened it held it open. The bungee wrapped around the outside holds the boga grips,fillet knife, and pliers for quick access.

speechless33759

That's pretty sweet there. You should go post this in GKF. It can definitely take off pretty well....and I can see where it would be extremely useful.

FishingAddict

Great idea. I also think that raising it off the kayak will make it easier to reach back and grab stuff. I might even angle bottom the top of the crate is angled towards me.

KDarsey

Great idea...I like that a lot.

Gabassmaster

ZachYak

Yall should go check out crescent Kayaks..... they have a back pouch already made in the back of them for storing things in.... ive stuck my tackle box in it and i have straps on the side of the kayak made for holding my poles....... they are pretty cool and sturdy.... i can stand up and fish on mine

http://www.yakangler.com/products/b...ayaks-present-the-fisher-xtreme-series-kayaks

Most Sit On Tops do have the recessed tank well. A crate just makes it a little more secure. There's 100s of ways to rig your kayak for 100s of ways to fish! That's the beauty of our sport!

Check this out if you have trouble fitting a normal sized crate in your tank well. http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4487&p=38715

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
azn, don't know how i missed this but this is a great idea and execution. thanks for sharing it !

aznflycaster

Thanks Feral. Well since I got the little canoe the kayak has turned into a buddy boat. So I took most of the stuff off the kayak and started to modify the canoe. The crate had another section added to the top like Deedly has done and I mounted the fish finder to the top of it and made a bracket out of a spring clamp to go on the side. Starting on another project to put outriggers on it but its posted in another thread. Here are pics of the new crate with the finder on it.
2011-01-29_17-24-56_284.jpg

2011-01-06_17-07-09_875.jpg

frankwright

Nice work.:clap:

My first one was open and I found out it's disadvantages pretty quick.

I made my second one similar to yours but I left about three inches of crate on the lid part. I ran bungees through it and this was a handy place to stick stuff. I made some PVC rod holders and zip tied them on at an angle.
It worked pretty good and if I had turtled most of my stuff would have survived.
Then I stole an idea from Randy and bought a big dry box. I have plano 3600 boxes inside, extra tackle, maps and all my fishing stuff. I like the way it keeps everything dry.
It sits in a PVC cradle that has attachments for a light and safety flag.

You can sort of see it in this picture.

Attachments

• Kayak 4 6-4-2010 4-05-26 PM 640x480.JPG
    Kayak 4 6-4-2010 4-05-26 PM 640x480.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 593