For you hunters 55 and older

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
4 months since a post. We musta been deer hunting.

What’s up ?????

I hear @Nicodemus qualifies for Medicare now , Congrats!!!

I qualify this May.

I need all the help I can get. But I`m still hunting, fishing, and living life to the fullest.

Actually found a little temporary relief for the arthritis in my hand. A TENS unit. Works wonders for a couple of hours afterward. Doesn`t do anything for the knees though.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have one of those little battery powered tens units that I use on my neck and shoulder. Mine doesn’t zap me like the 120 volt models at the physical therapy office. Maybe I need a better one.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have one of those little battery powered tens units that I use on my neck and shoulder. Mine doesn’t zap me like the 120 volt models at the physical therapy office. Maybe I need a better one.

This one I just got ain`t much bigger`n a pack of cigarettes , but it will light you up if you crank it on up.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic,

Is your buggy gas or electric? 4WD?

The one pictured is all electric and 2wd. I have another one that is gas powered, 4wd, with a winch on front. I use the gas powered one more for work in the woods than hunting though.

HughW2

How does the electric do out on trails? I guess fine in dry weather but mud would give it fits. I love electrics for stealth, but have always wondered how dependable they would be on soft ground.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
How does the electric do out on trails? I guess fine in dry weather but mud would give it fits. I love electrics for stealth, but have always wondered how dependable they would be on soft ground.

I have some slick red hills that mine does fine on. It slides sometimes like any vehicle does but pulls fine. I have the knobby tires. Mine is similar to the red one in Nics picture.
I have not ventured into swampy bottoms where water is standing.8A3D73DF-ACEA-4E8C-BEF3-F89B8D686356.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Been 4.5 years since this thread was started.

The 55+ crowd is basically now the 60+ crowd.

At 63, I am quite happy about how things have evolved.

Still building stands, planting plots, planting trees, scouting, moving stands and getting it done.

Now, 5 years from now, I will be 68, not sure what that will look like!

Will most likely be retired by then and collecting SS. Gonna postpone the SS as long as I can to maximize the monthly amount and gonna work a while to maximize the investments.

Life is good, God is great and I have a wonderful wife.

When I look back over the decades, I could never have predicted such a great outcome.

Best of luck, men and women!!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Been 4.5 years since this thread was started.

The 55+ crowd is basically now the 60+ crowd.

At 63, I am quite happy about how things have evolved.

Still building stands, planting plots, planting trees, scouting, moving stands and getting it done.

Now, 5 years from now, I will be 68, not sure what that will look like!

Will most likely be retired by then and collecting SS. Gonna postpone the SS as long as I can to maximize the monthly amount and gonna work a while to maximize the investments.

Life is good, God is great and I have a wonderful wife.

When I look back over the decades, I could never have predicted such a great outcome.

Best of luck, men and women!!!

Good stuff Jim
I know from following your adventures posted here that you are no doubt in good physical condition for someone our age. If I were in better shape I would continue to work too for the same reasons.
Now I also know that mentally you ain’t right and suffer from the same addiction many of us do. I hope there is no cure or rehabilitation for that.
:banana:

Jim Boyd

Now I also know that mentally you ain’t right and suffer from the same addiction many of us do. I hope there is no cure or rehabilitation for that.
:banana:

I would love to tell that comment hurts my feelings - but I resemble that remark!

I am def not in great shape. Need exercise and to lose 30 lbs.

Think us old codgers are in the same boat - we suffer an affliction, we are happy about it and we have absolutely no intention of changing.

God bless ya, brother !!

HughW2

Yep, I am right behind most of you. Just a few months till I can start tapping the 401-k, but I plan to work till SS. I have to keep earning to support this habit! I aspire to finally retire in a situation similar to y’all’s!

TJay

Yep I'm 66 and while I've scaled back a good bit I still enjoy climbing trees and sitting til my butt gets numb waiting on a buck or a tom. The really good thing for me is that I'm just not as "driven" as I was when I was younger. Used to be I hated missing a weekend or if the weather wasn't favorable I still felt obligated to be out there slugging it out rain or shine. Not anymore. I think I've finally reached the point where being successful has taken a back seat to just being immersed in God's creation and sharing a camp with old friends.

Triple C

Yep I'm 66 and while I've scaled back a good bit I still enjoy climbing trees and sitting til my butt gets numb waiting on a buck or a tom. The really good thing for me is that I'm just not as "driven" as I was when I was younger. Used to be I hated missing a weekend or if the weather wasn't favorable I still felt obligated to be out there slugging it out rain or shine. Not anymore. I think I've finally reached the point where being successful has taken a back seat to just being immersed in God's creation and sharing a camp with old friends.
Rigth there with you TJ. Being amongst friends n family during hunting season is bout as good as it gets. Don't give a flip if I kill something or not and mostly just watch the critters come and go from the stand. I was at the farm this weekend and solo yesterday morning. Got 35 to 40 acres of bottom land interspersed with big hardwoods n beaver sloughs and bordered on the south end by a creek. There's parts of it I've never seen in the past 10 years so yesterday morning I took off on a hiking trek to see if I could get back to the far corner. Imagine beaver ponds, large swampy openings, big hardwoods and you get the picture. I made it all the way back and couldn't believe how beautiful it is back there. The recent floods had it almost like it was cleaned out and made it relatively easy to walk. Thought to myself in my younger days I'd have a stand hung back in there. Something about just being out enjoying nature in it's purest element is soothing to the soul.

62hunter

57 pushing 58. Getting to and from hunt locations still the same, just can't haul something out like I used to. Being outdoors for whatever reason is another opportunity to see what God is capable of.

Buford_Dawg

I joined the club last year. Slowed down myself the last few years. No more climbing tree stands, prefer double ladders and ground blinds. Could care less if I kill anything all season, doesnt matter any more. Just being in the woods and spending as many weekends as possible in deer camp is what makes me happy now. Prefer to watch game .vs. kill it, however if a big old buck or a longbeard shows up, so much the better. I hope to retire in next few years and enjoy it as much as some of you are.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lots of us posting in this thread are being affected by all the steps being planned to help slow the spread of Coronavirus.
Lots of us are being affected by the downturn in the stock market largely based on Coronavirus fears.
Lots of us are among those believed to be high risk for the ill effects of the disease.

Anyone want to share how Coronavirus has affected your life??