For you hunters 55 and older

MYRX

If it is your passion, I think you find a way. Some years back, I shot an 8 pointer 17 days after having a stent. Cardio doctor could not believe I went hunting. Two years ago, the year I turned 60, I took my largest buck ever, (16 pointer) the week before Christmas. This year, I entering bow season with a fractured wrist. True, physical impairments can slow you down, but as long as you keep your passion, you will find a way to continue. Now I just do things smarter too.

Stroker

Turned 65 this year, still going strong, and hunt/fish 90% of the time by myself. 50% of the time I climb 30+ feet. I don't own a 4 wheeler, I walk in and out. I don't drag them out anymore, now I use a heavy duty large tire hand truck with ratchet straps to take the load off my old legs and back. My only concern is dying on the ground where the coyotes can get to me, hope they leave enough for ashes so family and friends can throw me a kegger wake.

livetohunt

55 is still young..I'm 48 and hunt as hard as I ever did in younger days. I can,t imagine that will change at 55 unless a health issue occurs. Staying in shape is the key.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Health is the key, gentlemen. I will be 69 mid season this year and was going pretty strong until a quad by-pass 5 years ago then 2 years ago an accident required a shoulder replacement. The by-pass let me up easy but the shoulder has really slowed me down and is still painful. Thankfully I have a neighbor who is younger and loves to hunt. He helps with stands and some work around the place bus most importantly he keeps after me to get after em.
Without the encouragement it would probably be easier to talk about it than to do it.

Heavy Chevy

I am 61 and don't get around like I use to went squirrel huntin yesterday .Just being in the woods and raising up my old Remington model 550-1 rifle and looking thru the scope is better medicine than anything the DR. can prescribe.I ain't quittin!!!!

swamp hunter

It ain't old age that's gonna kill me...It's the dang Lease payments and such...

35 Whelen

62, hunt OTG, public land, walk well over a mile in, hunt all day, still drag deer out myself, and hunt quite often by myself. Not planning on quitting any time soon!

Twiggbuster

Just turned 57 and still excited about bow season.
Just love the woods. Keep telling my wife going to do it long as I can. Got to do it for my sanity in this crazy world .
My biggest regret - taking up turkey late. Might be my favorite.
Might.

BowanaLee

Hey, old lives matter too. I'll turn 61 Sept 14th. I get bow season for my birthday. As long as the big guy allows me to climb around on houses, reckon I can climb trees too ?
I figure on carrying my back pack full of camera gear and climber every afternoon ? I'll see if I can get another year out of him ? The way this country's headed it looks kinda doubtful ? :huh:

Bubba_1122

I'm 60. Have a few health issues, but haven't really let that stop me from being in the woods.

I don't go quite as deep into the woods. as I used to I'm not quite as mad as I used to be at the deer (but I'll still generally shoot one or two every year). Will probably retire the Summit this year (just cause hurt myself climbing a tree using it last year). But I'll still be out there, primarily shooting a bow (yep - it's on 60 lbs instead of 70 but will still sling em). And I'll confess, I'm a sissy, because I have a Yamaha Rhino and will drive that into the woods to load up a deer (ratchet straps are my friend).

I have 5 grandkids. My hope and desire is that I'll be able to share my love of the outdoors with them, and that maybe when they get older they'll carry ol Papa to the woods with em from time to time.

My greatest love is ducks and turkey hunting. Didn't hunt ducks as much last year because of outside obligations, but man I love it. Turkey hunting has become an affliction. Like a little kid on Christmas eve when turkey season comes in.

Gun Guru

I'm 73 and still go. My wife tells people that I don't hunt but I just like to sit in the woods. Probably a lot of truth in that. I love going to the camp but could care less if I get a deer. A hog or coyote is a different matter.

well,

I can see myself scaling back the deer hunting it's just not as fun for me as it once was and my house is full of trophy deer mounts. My wife said after last season I cannot mount another deer head.

But, I will turkey hunt all the days of my life. And when the day comes that I cannot I hope all of my grand children are grown and all of my affairs are in order.

s&r

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Legs, knees and hips are bothering me now so I am not as mobile as I once was. This has cut down some of my enjoyment but hasn't destroyed it. Can't invest the shoe leather on a place like I once did. Woods time is still my best therapy and I'll go as long as I still can.

gregj

Used to hunt in Michigan's U.P. in the 80's,. One of my cousins hunting partners was in his mid eighties and he
didn't come back form hunting in the evening. Guys found him dead from natural causes in his ground blind and a nice 8 point buck about
40 yards out laying dead too. He died doing what he enjoyed most. I wouldn't mind going that way either.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Used to hunt in Michigan's U.P. in the 80's,. One of my cousins hunting partners was in his mid eighties and he
didn't come back form hunting in the evening. Guys found him dead from natural causes in his ground blind and a nice 8 point buck about
40 yards out laying dead too. He died doing what he enjoyed most. I wouldn't mind going that way either.

What a way to go. If we could all be that lucky.

Jeff Phillips

I have told my kids that I plan to die in my climber!

Don't worry about lowering me, if I'm dead just cut the strap. Probably be easier to get me out if I was field dressed...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

What a way to go. If we could all be that lucky.

Indeed.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

56 here. I still hunt but not as much and just happy to fill my freezer so a nice fat doe will suffice. I have shot some really nice bucks over the years so I pretty much feel I've been successful at it. Still have a son I take with me so he can enjoy it too and that makes it more worthwhile.

I really cannot thank the Lord enough for His blessing of time spent in the woods. I will do those things in some capacity as long as He wills.