For you hunters 55 and older

35 Whelen

64 this year, thankful that I can still hunt public land on the ground and walk in just as far as ever and still drag out my own deer.

oldfella1962

I use to think 55 was ANCIENT.....

Even though I still have a ways to go, when I stop and think about it, darn, it's not that far off.

Can't stop the clock.

yep I turn 56 in a couple of months - more days behind me than in front of me most likely, but I'm not going out without a fight! :cool: And if I had a time machine my 55 year old self can still whip the dog squeezings out of my 18 year old self!

kingfish

57 this year. Hitting it just as hard as ever both in the woods and on the water. The drive is still there but I found myself really enjoying the outdoors more than ever, just not so serious. I also find that when I scout, I see more than ever because I have slowed down a little. Also find that I'm a little more careful as far as the risks go.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The older I get the more I hunt and fish. Hunted at least 80 days this past gun season.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I turned 66 last November. If I can breathe I'm going deer hunting. If I can't breathe and I'm dead, somebody take me deer hunting.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No you didn't. You went picture takin and toted a gun just in case. ::ke::bounce::bounce:

For sure! For the first time in 51 years I didn`t kill a deer at all. But I passed up more than most see in a lifetime, and I had myself more fun that I deserve. And my Lady killed a whopper of a 10 point. :D

I can`t wait till next year. Our woods should be full of sho-nuff big bucks.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Almost finished the season without one of the bucks i was holding out for. And he was the smallest of the group i was hoping to pick from. Held out for a huge piebald, and a very nice 11 point with split G2's, and a few more nice racks. We've been trying to get this old 7 out since the 15/16 season. He messed up and came to rattling on Jan 13th. I took a couple nice does early season because we like venison, and our does needs thinning a bit each year. Our club did manage to take out three old bucks we wanted out. Few members got nice bucks, heaviest buck was killed by an 8 year old boy. 228 pounds i believe i remember. Was an old heavy six point. Still hunting, i will be 76 in March.

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_095938031.jpg
    IMG_20180114_095938031.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 122

turkeykirk

I turned 66 last November. If I can breathe I'm going deer hunting. If I can't breathe and I'm dead, somebody take me deer hunting.

They can take you out and prop you up in a tree stand with your gun. Probably be the time a world record buck steps out because he knows he’s safe !:rofl::rofl:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Two folks posting up in here that can turn this thread into an old folks subform............... just saying ;)

Last edited:

oldfella1962

57 this year. Hitting it just as hard as ever both in the woods and on the water. The drive is still there but I found myself really enjoying the outdoors more than ever, just not so serious. I also find that when I scout, I see more than ever because I have slowed down a little. Also find that I'm a little more careful as far as the risks go.

that's important - we don't heal up as fast as we age so it pays to be a little more careful. I nicked my finger on a broad-head in October and I thought it was never going to stop bleeding. Thank goodness I carry duct tape in my rucksack! I think I'll start packing a first-aid kit too.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Two folks posting up in here that can turn this thread into an old folks subform............... just saying ;)

Still old and still hunting.:clap:

Spent the cool hours of 5 days recently working on stands and shooting lanes and such. After midnight tonight deer season starts next month

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
that's important - we don't heal up as fast as we age so it pays to be a little more careful. I nicked my finger on a broad-head in October and I thought it was never going to stop bleeding. Thank goodness I carry duct tape in my rucksack! I think I'll start packing a first-aid kit too.
You can get septic(sp?) powder at the barber shop or beauty supply.Stops the bleeding quickly. I usually poke my finger with my knife sometime while gutting ,skinning or cutting up a deer.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
When you get old maybe you will learn not to poke your finger with your knife.