Ford 3.3 l

buckmanmike

One other thing to tip the scales, my 2019 rides and drives so much better than my 03, and on the 03 I had rebuilt the whole front end with Moog parts. Just better engineering in 16 years, but both get you down the road, or off the road.
Good luck on your decision.

7 point

Would you pick the 2.7 ecoboost over the 3.3 l ? I just dont like how they cut off when your idling.

buckmanmike

My 5.0 has the idle shutdown. I disabled it. Easy to do. Just pull a wire under dash that goes to trailer brakes. Youtube will show you how to do. Or just plug a dummy plug into trailer light connector. Computer in truck overrides shutdown if you have trailer hooked up.
Of course plug wire in if you pull a trailer.

7 point

My 5.4 gets 14-15 city and 15 hwy not towing

twtabb

I get around 23 on highway not pulling anything and average 20-22 per tank.
I have the 6cly non turbo. I kept last truck 11 years and 253k miles. Was concerned with turbo if I keep it that long. By the way you can 240,000 miles on a set of stock spark plugs.

7 point

Is yours the 3.3l v6? I just changed my plugs at 65k

Eudora

I am in the auto parts industry. EVERYBODY is looking to add turbos to their offerings if possible, new and/or rebuilt. Ranking turbo sales, there are a lot of Ford's being replaced as it should since they were definitely early adopters to using these. Turbo failure like any other mechanical component is primarily due to inadequate lubrication, contaminated oil, oil leak at the turbo, internal foreign object damage, excessive exhaust heat or over-speeding the unit. A very popular unit being replaced is the ones fitting the Chey Cruz and Buick Encore, probably due to people thinking a turbo is "really awesome", but don't take the time to properly maintain it and watch for potential turbo issues. Bottom line, turbocharged engines should be warmed up and cooled down properly, oil levels maintained, use ONLY turbo oils, and keep heat shields in tact. Short trips are also a potential killer. Before choosing a turbo engine or not, make sure you are comfortable with the extra maintenance and driving changes that may be necessary. For me, no thanks, but they do have benefits .... and also pitfall$.

kayaker

Bought a 3.3l F150 last year in Boise after my 5l F150 was rear ended. Pulled a 3500lb trailer back to SC, and averaged 12 mpg (which is the same as the5l). Average mpg around home and short trips is 21-22mpg. Was skeptical about the 3.3l when I bought it but more than happy with it now.