Forend tip

Bobby Bigtime

I have a semi inletted stock for a Mauser 98 that I am working on. The front end is squared off and I would like to find a forend cap to fit on it. I don't want to make one, but some fitting would be fine. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I have looked at numrich and some others but am not finding what I need.

killerv

good luck, at most you will find its a block of ebony or walnut. I've done one out of a piece of walnut, wasn't that hard really. Midway were selling some. I usually get my pieces of scraps from local cabinet makers.

bighonkinjeep

Midway USA has fore end tips.
Here's a link
760- 771Stock Making (midwayusa.com)
I hope it helps.

I did a fake ebony fore end on an old birch stock just messing a round a couple of years ago. I put a can of ebony stain in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and rested the rifle stock with the tip in the stain and the stock leaning at an angle inside the bucket to let gravity keep the line angled, even and straight. I left it there for a couple of hours just to make sure it was good and dark and the stain had a chance to penetrate. There was a little bleed around the transition so I used some automotive pin stripe to add a fake white line fore end spacer and cover it up. I also added white line spacers to the butt pad and grip cap that i made out of plastic from a sheetrock mud bucket. I stained the rest of the stock with golden oak stain. Since it was cheap soft birch I topped it all with quite a few coats of spray poly to seal, harden, and smooth everything out. I think I wound up with a nice classic rifle look on the cheap.
savage classic.jpg

Bobby Bigtime

Nice work jeep!, I am leaning toward lopping the end off one of a few take offs I have had laying around for years. I don't know why I never thought of that before. Might end up with a funky mannlicher.

killerv

here is a ruger 10/22 stock I did. Cut off just behind the barrel band and added

0aji2vq.jpg

rosewood

Did you check Brownells?

rosewood

Here's a link
I hope it helps.

I did a fake ebony fore end on an old birch stock just messing a round a couple of years ago. I put a can of ebony stain in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and rested the rifle stock with the tip in the stain and the stock leaning at an angle inside the bucket to let gravity keep the line angled, even and straight. I left it there for a couple of hours just to make sure it was good and dark and the stain had a chance to penetrate. There was a little bleed around the transition so I used some automotive pin stripe to add a fake white line fore end spacer and cover it up. I also added white line spacers to the butt pad and grip cap that i made out of plastic from a sheetrock mud bucket. I stained the rest of the stock with golden oak stain. Since it was cheap soft birch I topped it all with quite a few coats of spray poly to seal, harden, and smooth everything out. I think I wound up with a nice classic rifle look on the cheap.
View attachment 1066966
Kind of reminds me of some women wearing makeup. Not quite what you think it is....

Bobby Bigtime

I finally got that 98 fitted and bedded. That beech stock is really light in both color and weight. I still haven't decided on the for end tip yet. The grain of the wood is rather uneventful. a for end tip probably won't make a worthwhile difference. I have considered dying this stock as I have done in the past with rit and alcohol. The last couple I have did in forest green. Might go with something funky this time maybe purple?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I finally got that 98 fitted and bedded. That beech stock is really light in both color and weight. I still haven't decided on the for end tip yet. The grain of the wood is rather uneventful. a for end tip probably won't make a worthwhile difference. I have considered dying this stock as I have done in the past with rit and alcohol. The last couple I have did in forest green. Might go with something funky this time maybe purple?
Fiebings leather dye is a lot better than Rit on wood. I used to use it a lot back when I was making a lot of bows. Already liquid, too, and comes in a plethora of colors.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a link
I hope it helps.

View attachment 1066966
That looks sharp!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Fiebings leather dye is a lot better than Rit on wood. I used to use it a lot back when I was making a lot of bows. Already liquid, too, and comes in a plethora of colors.
Fiebings is good stuff,I’ve done several walking sticks using it!