Fort Mountain then Cherokee then Vogel

Artfuldodger

It ain't what it was 20 years ago. We went 3 years back and I was disappointed in the production.

a good day trip outta Cherokee would be the sliding rock over at Brevard. You can take the Blue Ridge parkway if you aren't in a hurry. Some beautiful country up there. The rock is a nice place to cool off. I think parking is $4 and you can slide all day if you want to, nothing extra.

carry a towel and dry clothes and be prepared for cold water. It is about 55 degrees in the summer

We actually did that years ago. We were camping between Sylva and Cherokee. Got on the parkway and drove to Hwy 276 and down to Sliding Rock. It took a long time to get there.
When we left we went north to Waynesville and back to the campground on the Great Smoky Mountains Express. Made it back in less than half the time there.
I did enjoy the parkway. That was my first time on it.

Geffellz18

Sounds like a great trip T. You'll enjoy Ft. Mtn. and Vogel. Both are very nice & scenic.
Do stop at The Dillard House on your way back from Cherokee to Vogel if you take that route.
Great food served family style. Request more everything you liked when your done eating and box it up and take with you to Vogel!

T-N-T

Thanks yall. I like to hear about the must stop and eat lunch places

T-N-T

It ain't what it was 20 years ago. We went 3 years back and I was disappointed in the production.

a good day trip outta Cherokee would be the sliding rock over at Brevard. You can take the Blue Ridge parkway if you aren't in a hurry. Some beautiful country up there. The rock is a nice place to cool off. I think parking is $4 and you can slide all day if you want to, nothing extra.

carry a towel and dry clothes and be prepared for cold water. It is about 55 degrees in the summer

You didn't even mention the white skwerls....facepalm:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't even mention the white skwerls....facepalm:

They don't range up to Sliding Rock. They stop at about Mills River. :)

3ringer

When you camp at Vogel , you have to stop in at Alexander’s store. They have everything from guns to furniture. It’s a unique store. It is just a few miles from Vogel. Close to Alexander’s is Trackrock campground. You may want to ride through it for a future visit. They have one of the prettiest valleys in north Georgia. Just north of Vogel is Sunshine grocery store. It is a neat little country store with homemade pickles, jams , candy and boiled peanuts. They also have firewood 50 pieces for 25 bucks. Up the hill at Vogel campground , you can hike up to the primitive camping area. It is beautiful up there. Also walk down behind the dam at Vogel and enjoy the Falls. We are staying a week at Vogel in October. We enjoy the area up there in the fall. Have Fun

deermaster13

Yep, the whole rez is dry. And Jackson and Swain counties only sell alcohol inside city limits.

They put a new beer store beside the dollar general on 441 coming into Cherokee. Has beer and wine only though. At least we don't have to drive into Bryson city when we run out(happens a lot) plan on being there again for the 4th again this year.