Fort Stewart Turkey Hunters

GobbleAndGrunt78

Anyone else hunt Ft Stewart? I've been hunting it for the last couple years. I bagged my first gobbler there last year. :banana:

Thunderbeard

I never have, I have hunted Camp Lejeune. I heard Stewart was awesome though

gsubo

Yep I hunt there religiously. I'll never join another huntin club so long as I can hunt out there. I've had a really good turkey season out there so far..I've killed 2. Both with 9.5" beards and good spurs. Also called one up for a buddy that he killed that had a 9.5" beard and some needle sharp hooks. I've also come very close to getting my final bird twice but they've stayed just outside comfortable shooting range. So how's your season gone so far on Stewart?

GobbleAndGrunt78

Hey gsubo maybe you can give me a hand!!! I've hunted there pretty hard this year and had little luck. I blew 2 chances I had. The turkey gods must be mad at me. Maybe we could get together one day before the season ends. Drop me a line gafordman1978@aol.com :flag:

capt stan

Been hunting Stewart for 10 years. Had one gobbel WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off in the distance this morning but I couldn't close on him. Got some great hog Video as well as some video of a couple otters. trying to get them uploaded but the files are huge:huh:

I also hunt alot on Stewart. I have had great luck and have gotten two nice ones...I have got two friends limited out as well. I love calling them in and Stewart is definitely a challenge cause the birds get every kind of call, good and bad thrown at them. I have a secret that helps emensely,...only it has not done so much of a wonder on a double bearded bird i have been after. I have brought him in numerous times, but to get him within 60 yards is all but impossible. I had him at 40 one morning, but i would not take the long shot since i was using a double barrel coach gun. The last time i brought him in, he was 40 as well, but as i was about to take him, a bobcat run him off. It was a big'un too!! Maybe Monday afternoon he will come in looking for love for the last time.

gsubo

Man I had a bad hunt this morning out there. Went up to the Charlies and had some jokers park right across the road from my truck and get out and start hammering the nastiest sounding crow call I've ever heard at 6:30. Blew it about 10 times in 5 minutes and never got a response. Then as I was walkin down to his truck to ask him what he thought he was doing he comes and gets back in his Dodge ram with a hemi and duels and fishtails it as he's leaving out.:huh: Talk about mad. I was furious and it messed the turkeys up there. Then i got on one in another spot that only gobbled three times. He had a full length gobble but it was kinda half hearted and not deep like they normally are. I thought i may have been a jake but i set up on him anyway but he never came in.
GobbleAndGrunt78, We may have to get up and go someday out there. Althought I'm not sure it would do any good:bounce: The turkeys have been puttin me to shame. Not to mention they are about as quiet as I've ever heard them at this point in the season. I don't really know why. I think people like the people I encountered this morning are what makes the turkey hunting so tough out there.

gabreamfanatic

i would like to learnit but never have for some reason. i do have my hunt club that butts right up next to it. maybe next year we can hook up i live in savannah to on the southside in paradise park,give a shout if you want to go just drop me a email thanks rob.

capt stan

The Area I have been hunting in was closed today(sunday). I went into a spot I hunted hard years ago. I have killed a few in here in years past. just never made it in here this year.Nice little high spot in the riverbottom. I eased in just as it was light enough to see and got about where I wanted to be to wait for light and listen.

Owls were raising cane but no birds talking back. I just leaned up on a tree waiting. About 06:45 I heard a bird flapping wings like it was repositioning on the limb. I put my mask up and got set. The birds were there and I was inside of about 50 to 75 yds.:cool:

I did some soft tree yelps and an occassional cluck. No response. I did this several times untill about 07:15 I did a wing beat and a flydown cackle, Hoping it may get them fired up. NOTHING>>>>>

About 07:33 they started flying down. I saw 3 birds go down and I belive I heard 2 more. Not one cluck, yelp gobbel nothing. I stayed set untill 08:30 NADA. they landed and headed out in another direction thru the river bottom. To say I was disapointed would be an understatement.:mad: :mad:

That makes 8 hunts this year all on Stewart with 1 bird. I also had one that spooked at 15 steps. I was getting greedy when 5 came in, looking for the biggest. I should have popped the first one when I had the chance:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Drake12

The Area I have been hunting in was closed today(sunday). I went into a spot I hunted hard years ago. I have killed a few in here in years past. just never made it in here this year.Nice little high spot in the riverbottom. I eased in just as it was light enough to see and got about where I wanted to be to wait for light and listen.

Owls were raising cane but no birds talking back. I just leaned up on a tree waiting. About 06:45 I heard a bird flapping wings like it was repositioning on the limb. I put my mask up and got set. The birds were there and I was inside of about 50 to 75 yds.:cool:

I did some soft tree yelps and an occassional cluck. No response. I did this several times untill about 07:15 I did a wing beat and a flydown cackle, Hoping it may get them fired up. NOTHING>>>>>

About 07:33 they started flying down. I saw 3 birds go down and I belive I heard 2 more. Not one cluck, yelp gobbel nothing. I stayed set untill 08:30 NADA. they landed and headed out in another direction thru the river bottom. To say I was disapointed would be an understatement.:mad::mad:

That makes 8 hunts this year all on Stewart with 1 bird. I also had one that spooked at 15 steps. I was getting greedy when 5 came in, looking for the biggest. I should have popped the first one when I had the chance:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
What areas are the best to hunt

deast1988

More people on Stewart then huntable birds, but them MPs out there.

Mattval

Sometimes these old threads are the best!

GobbleAndGrunt78

Well, good news gents...the hunting has gotten WAY worse out there in recent years. I was 27 back them and 42 now...lol. Resurrecting a 15 year old post is a dead giveaway of a cyber scouter.