Fossil hunting

flyrod444

This has to be one of my more useless hobbies. My family goes to Myrtle Beach every summer and I spend the early hours looking for shark's teeth. Fishing there in August is not worth the effort so I started looking for these little guys. This is a picture of the more complete teeth I found this week. One finds 2 or 3 pieces for every complete tooth found. Found one large tooth which was nice.
Jack
IMG_20190809_153333890-680x510.jpg

Anvil Head

Used to lifeguard on North Myrtle back when it was called Cherry Hill. It was a quiet family beach back then and never really crowded. Great summer job if you didn't mind the low wages.
Did a lot of picking in the early hours. Found several of the meg teeth over the course of a summer. Used to give them to the scantly clads to start a conversation. Great pickup ploy almost good as a lost dog on a rope. Some great days for sure.

Patriot44

Banned
I lived in MB most of my early youth and go back now quite often as most of my family is there. Not nearly as often as I should if you ask Dad....

Finding teeth these days are NOT like back in the 80's. I remember walking from where my aunt's would be laying out to the pier and back and have handful's. Now, lucky to find 2 or 3 a day even when going out early.

I stepped over one years and years ago that my cousin picked up. Was about 3 inches tall and in perfect condition. Still beat myself up over not paying attention.... :bounce:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Used to lifeguard on North Myrtle back when it was called Cherry Hill. It was a quiet family beach back then and never really crowded. Great summer job if you didn't mind the low wages.
Did a lot of picking in the early hours. Found several of the meg teeth over the course of a summer. Used to give them to the scantly clads to start a conversation. Great pickup ploy almost good as a lost dog on a rope. Some great days for sure.
I've sifted sand at Cherry Hill area before and found dozens of shark teeth. I always hoped for a large one but most were small. But it was fun searching.

Anvil Head

Have to be out there at first light always been a lot of beachcomers. Good teeth and shells get picked up really fast. Found my best up coast near the inlet for some reason.

I always sifted the wet sand behind a wave.....but not for teeth, for sand fleas to catch pompano with for breakfast!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine found a whole fossilized mastadon tooth at Myrtle. He said he was walking up the beach early in the morning and saw a small piece of black stuff poking out of the sand. He dug it out, and it was a whole molar.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wow that's a lot of teeth great finds!!!!! Big mako blade good job!!

Tom W.

I found a lot of old sharks teeth at old bauxite mines in Henry and Barbour counties, in Alabama. I don't go to the beach much anymore.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We used to find a bunch on ponte vedra beach north of st. Augustine. I used to have a couple 35 mm film cases full