Found Ammo

redlevel

I was getting concerned about my stash of .22lr ammo, so I started searching some of my storage spots I haven’t checked in a while. I came across two bricks of Remington Cyclone. Look close at the purchase date on the carton: 12-93. What’s that, nearly 28 years? I wondered how good it would be. I decided to try it in a couple of Ruger handguns, a recently purchased LCRX, and an SR22 I have had for a few years.

Out of 50 rounds through the revolver, there was one ftf, and it fired on the second hammer strike. I only did one magazine in the little auto, and all ten rounds fired. Other than the one ftf, there were no hitches. Seemed to be fairly clean, and the shots sounded very consistent. I was pleased. The ammo has been stored in dry conditions, but not climate controlled. To tell the truth, I was expecting maybe 10%-20% misfires.

I’m going to keep looking under the bed, on the top shelf, etc, to see what I can find

I can’t find a price tag on the cartons. What’s a good guess from 1993? I figure maybe $8.95.
8452A207-4288-4A6B-B843-A0E1A8CEF60C.jpeg470A32F1-B819-49A4-8CFB-E19EA60DF283.jpeg

redlevel

How are you liking that LCRx in .22LR? I’m thinking one in 22LR,or 22Mag would be handy.
I’m liking the LCRX more and more. It has a very stiff trigger, but I seem to be able to stay on target with it. I’m hoping the trigger will lighten up a little after 500-1000 rounds. .22 mag would be great, but if I get another one, it will be .38 special. I have about 4000 rounds loaded of a good mid power load. 3.3 grains of Bullseye with 146 grain wadcutters. Pretty good all-round field load, and I believe the trigger on the .38 version is supposed to be very nice. I have old, arthritic hands.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I dry fired my wife's LCR about 2000 times, and it DID in fact slick it up a good bit. Didn't tell her what I had done, and had her pull it thru a few times.

She said it's better! What'd you do to it???

Ruger claims dry fire is ok, but with the rimfire I would leave it full of empties, and snap away...

It will help.

I too have a bunch of 90's .22 ammo. It works just fine. Some of it is even a little ugly, tarnished, gray lube, etc.

The Kid has shot up a 5g bucket of it with no complaints, and rarely a failure...

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

Georgia Gun Store in Gainesville had quite a bit of ammo today at decent or and even even good prices.

9mm
45 ACP
25 acp
30/06
300 WM
6.5 CM
6 CM
44 Mag
10 mm
several types of shotgun shells
224 V

+++ in more obscure calibers