Found whats left of a Coyote i shot?

Permitchaser

I shot a yote a week ago and went back today to see what was left. All thats left is a area with tufts of fur, thats it. So in my opinion other yotes ate the dead one since I only found a 2" pice of bone looks like they ate it all. My question is , since I shot the dominant male and female shouldnt other yotes take their place?

280 Man

Banned
I shot a yote a week ago and went back today to see what was left. All thats left is a area with tufts of fur, thats it. So in my opinion other yotes ate the dead one since I only found a 2" pice of bone looks like they ate it all. My question is , since I shot the dominant male and female shouldnt other yotes take their place?

How do you know you shot the dominate male and female?? And yes, other will move into and take over the territory..

baddave

you think maybe hogs ate it? . i've killed several coyotes and never seen anything touch it , even buzzards . these were times and places where i didn't have hogs . maybe someone can chime in.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova

I shot and killed my first coyote back in the fall and your description of the remains within just 4 days is exactly what the area looked like in my pasture. I actually drug this yote out into my pasture about 75 yards from the woods and left it for the vultures to eat but they apparently didn't have time to react. The rest of the yotes completely cleaned up everything. All of the grass within a 30 foot diameter circle around it was completely flat on the ground. There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING left but the "tufts of hair and ONLY ONE SMALL PIECE OF BONE JUST AS YOU DESCRIBED !!!!!!

Also this yote had plenty of sharp looking teeth too.

This was a male coyote and was not really one of the large ones that I frequently see on my trailcams.

THE CRAZY THING IS LAST WEEK WHEN I FINALLY GOT TO PULL ALL OF MY CARDS (DELAYED A COUPLE OF MONTHS DUE TO MY FOOT AND LEG INJURY) FROM LAST FALL UP TO THE PRESENT TIME, NOW I AM COVERED UP WITH COYOTES AND ALSO HAVE ABOUT A DOZEN OR SO BOBCATS. THESE CREATURES ARE ROAMING ALL OVER NIGHT AND DAY NOW TOO. I'VE HAD QUITE A FEW OF THEM BEFORE BUT NEVER LIKE I HAVE NOW.

Last week when I pulled these cards, I must have close to 100 photos of Bobcats and some of them are really HUGE like never before. I also had a couple of photos of a yote that looked more like a wolf. I ALSO HAD ONE PHOTO OF ANOTHER BLACK COYOTE TOO. IT WAS NOT A VERY GOOD NIGHTTIME PHOTO BUT YOU CAN EASILY TELL THAT IT IS ANOTHER BLACK YOTE ETC. THIS IS THE FIRST ONE ON MY CAMERAS IN ABOUT 4 YEARS NOW.

BACK IN 2012, I POSTED A STORY ON HERE ABOUT A BLACK COYOTE (WITH A DIAMOND SHAPED WHITE THROAT PATCH) AS IT WENT INTO MY HOG TRAP. I HAVE LOTS OF PHOTOS OF IT BEGINNING UP TO 20 DAYS BEFORE IT FINALLY WENT INSIDE THE TRAP. IT WAS ONE OF THE LARGEST KNOWN ABOUT IN GEORGIA AS IT WEIGHED 80 POUNDS ON A CERTIFIED SCALE WITH LOTS OF WITNESSES PRESENT.

8 POINT BUCK PHOTOS 11-3-2018 001.JPG8 POINT BUCK PHOTOS 11-3-2018 005.JPG

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
you think maybe hogs ate it? . i've killed several coyotes and never seen anything touch it , even buzzards . these were times and places where i didn't have hogs . maybe someone can chime in.

Buzzards eat them, as they do anything, even dillers.

baddave

Buzzards eat them, as they do anything, even dillers.
i find that interesting because i've never had a deer gut pile lay more than a few minutes around here (no exaggeration)but they've never touched a dead coyote:huh:i've heard and read where buzzards would not eat coyotes .. shows there's no absolutes in the wild

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
i find that interesting because i've never had a deer gut pile lay more than a few minutes around here (no exaggeration)but they've never touched a dead coyote:huh:i've heard and read where buzzards would not eat coyotes .. shows there's no absolutes in the wild

Possums will eat anything dead too. Neither of these critters discriminate when it comes to something to eat.

Hogs ain`t particular much either.

Permitchaser

No hogs down there and i doubt a opossum will eat the bones or skull. In my opinion it had to be a canine

thanks for responding. I'm going down Thursday afternoon to see if i can call one up

KILLNTM

I have a little dirt road (I call it Coyote Lane) where I toss all my coyote carcasses. Over the years, I've noticed the buzzards don't tend to mess with them much at all especially when they're fairly fresh. After a few weeks, you might see one or two buzzards messing around, but that's about it. They tend to just lay there and rot. I did catch a female coyote several years ago that was visiting the dump area but that hasn't been the norm at this particular location.

chase870

Possum Sox
When you find the grass or crops stomped down in a circle like that its buzzards. That's why we don't leave any bodies of any animal in the fields we hunt. Farmer asked we remove any kill cause the buzzards stomp every thing down just my .02 based on my experance

sleepr71

I’ve also had the experience of Buzzards NOT touching a dead Yote..many times,not just one or two ? I will say that a dead Yote stinks worse than about anything else,even fish guts in July!!

280 Man

Banned
I’ve also had the experience of Buzzards NOT touching a dead Yote..many times,not just one or two ? I will say that a dead Yote stinks worse than about anything else,even fish guts in July!!

Ive seen buzzards eating dead skunks. Im not sure it has anything to do with how badly something stinks