Fox squirrel??

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I usually try and kill daddy a few squirrels every yr to eat. Never killed a fox sq. How are they for eating? We've got a few running around now. Thanks

Hillbilly stalker

They are fine to eat. Personally I prefer the greys. Fox squirrels work on a lot of pine cones and I think it effects the taste. If you kill a couple be sure to pull out the glands, one under each front leg in the arm pit, they are brown little fatty looking tissue. There are 2 more, one in each hind leg right where the hamstring meets the back of the knee. You have to cut a slit across the grain where the 2 white lines meet and you can pop them right out. These 2 are white little lumps. When the fox squirrels are rutting you can smell them almost as strong as a buck deer. There’s a lot. Ore meat on a fox squirrel, two will make a good sized meal.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Not many pines in these woods, I see them same places (acorns) as I see the greys

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve ate a few . The grays are better to me . I haven’t killed one in probably 30 years . Really enjoy seeing them

greg j

That video about skinning was about the best one i have ever watched. Simple and to the point. Never knew about those glands in the legs.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Anvil Head

Fox Squirrels are a little bit tough IMHO. I have cleaned and eaten hundreds....I always boiled them and picked the meat.

Latest posts