Fox squirrels

Caseypatton

I live in murray county northwest ga looking for a place to kill a fox squirrel wanting to have one mounted had a fella tell me he saw a couple on coosawatee wma but I have wore that place out and no luck any recommendations in the Murray whitfeild county areas

Barron79

I see them from time to time on national forest. Saw 2 week before last different locations but both on high ridge tops eating pine cone seeds. Both in walker county.

Big7

The Oracle
Go south. Just Sayin'.

swamp hunter

Fox Sq. 002.jpgFar down South we got a bunch at the edge of the Glades.
Most on high Ground that don't flood much.
My Wife has several that follow her around the yard. She's carry's most any kind of food and they Stalk her.
Their naturally very tame and trusting.

Attachments

• Fox Squirrell 002.jpg
    Fox Squirrell 002.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 44

Turpentine

Do all day sits in areas you think they will be. A mix of hardwood and extremely tall pines are where I have had most my luck (sightings) They eat around the pines and then return to a hardwood to sleep.
Early season they seem to be on schedule with the Grey's. Out in the morning and evening and sleep mid day. Late season they come out more around lunch and evening.
Fox tails have a massive home range for there size in my opinion. Males do not sleep in the same tree every night.
I'm guessing this changes during mating season, idk.
If you see one chances are it's a male.
Any way instead of taking the first one you see try stalking him, observe him, follow him, if you manage to do this without spooking him return the next day and do it again, and again. You will soon or later find a nest tree and then you can harvest whatever color you want.
Find a log with a huge pile of half eaten pine cones, Hunt it. That's big boys throne.
They will and do travel through thick brush to get from spot to spot. How ever they are usually just traveling through.
The ones on the mountain are not tammed and trusting like golf course tails or farm tails. although you might come across a curious one now and then. Find a promising area and just sit, again and again and again. Once you figure out how they live and act in that particular area you can Hunt them like ole Grey's. Also hunt at the bottom looking up the hill, this prevents you from being eye level with them as they travel through the trees. I have watched them cruise the treetops multiple football fields at a time to avoid having to walk. For example if there is a large saddle, valley, swamp area, brush, steep hill, creek ect they will often times cruise those areas through the trees.... Not just at the tops either. This is why hunting with a 22 LR with a scope is great. You can even find em in the swamp, nested in trees they climbed to. Hunting huge pines is the go to method because that's there main food, but they ain't always in them pines. Unless you have some farm land we're they are common and unpreasured, youve got to scout, sit and put the time in brother just like your hunting for a big buck.

db2teg

I made the trip to johns today walked 7 miles up some crazy ridges didn't see the first squirrel

Got a couple by the shooting range at Johns this year. Took the road that goes right when you drive in. But all the info everyone is giving is spot on. They’ll more likely be in a pine stand and you’ll more than likely see them in the middle of the day. Although I have harvested them early in the AM and Evenings too.

If you go again and need someone to hunt with let me know I’m always down!

ICHAVEZ1

I live in murray county northwest ga looking for a place to kill a fox squirrel wanting to have one mounted had a fella tell me he saw a couple on coosawatee wma but I have wore that place out and no luck any recommendations in the Murray whitfeild county areas
John's mountain seen couple of them during deer season. G-luck?