Free to good home

specialk

wonder if they would ship it it?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Fords...????

killerv

I'll tell you a not so funny free to a good home story, buddy just got a free 2 year old female lab, all registered, etc. Family said they were too busy with travel ball to give her attention....

He found out they were too busy or too cheap to give her heartworm medicine. Had her a week, first vet visit, ate up with heartworms. He's got quite the vet bill in the works. Hope she makes it. I dont understand people.

MudDucker

Staff member
I'll tell you a not so funny free to a good home story, buddy just got a free 2 year old female lab, all registered, etc. Family said they were too busy with travel ball to give her attention....

He found out they were too busy or too cheap to give her heartworm medicine. Had her a week, first vet visit, ate up with heartworms. He's got quite the vet bill in the works. Hope she makes it. I dont understand people.

Not giving vet advise, but:

Had a buddy who was given a 3 year old working lab. Guy wanted him gone due to his lack of energy. Buddy had him tested and he had heartworms and there was no way the guy could afford the treatments.

He told me about it and we went to the feed store and got ivermec in the liquid injectable form and treated the dog carefully. Looked up the recommended dose before we started. 6 weeks later, the tests were negative for heartworms. His energy level quickly built back. He gave that dog ivermec until the dog died some 10 years later.

killerv

I know Mud...but the was all his wifes mess about wanting the dog and I aint getting in the middle of that mess. She learned her lesson about a free dog, they are already invested in an invisible fence and all the other accessories. Supposedly they are putting the dog on antibodies for 30 days before they start the treatment.

JWF III

Not giving vet advise, but:

Had a buddy who was given a 3 year old working lab. Guy wanted him gone due to his lack of energy. Buddy had him tested and he had heartworms and there was no way the guy could afford the treatments.

He told me about it and we went to the feed store and got ivermec in the liquid injectable form and treated the dog carefully. Looked up the recommended dose before we started. 6 weeks later, the tests were negative for heartworms. His energy level quickly built back. He gave that dog ivermec until the dog died some 10 years later.

Ivermectin works. I used it on a beagle. She was free, and already about 8 years old. She lived another 6 years with us.

Wyman

MudDucker

Staff member
Read the heartguard label ... primary ingredient is Ivermec. A vet buddy of mine begrudgingly admitted he treated dogs with ivermec to rid them of hearworms, but stated you had to be careful or parts of the worm would break off and cause a clot and death. I asked him how the risk was different between him and DIY ... he paused and said I can try to resuscitate, but it doesn't work very often.

I'm not trying to replace the vets. If it were my dog and I can afford the vet, I would take the dog to the vet. This is only with guys who either can't afford or who are too cheap to afford vet treatment.