Freedom Arms .454 Casull

pacecars

I am seriously thinking about a Freedom Arms Premier Grade 7.5” barrel in .454 Casull. The gun is used and in great shape. It has the factory Magnaport and a 2x Leupold scope on it and the price is decent. Always wanted a FA and the .454 is the quintessential chambering in their guns. Anyone have one? I think I have fondled one a long time ago in a little shop in north Georgia but that is the only one I have seen much less handled. I here the recoil is a little “snappy” and quick, some say violent. I am not recoil shy as some of my loads in the .480 Bisley are pretty stout and the .410 GNR will get your attention also. Someone talk me out of it (or push me over the edge to get it). Let’s here from the enablers

Reactions: Dub

earlthegoat2

If you have wanted one for awhile, I would get it.

Guns are cheap enough that most anyone can fulfill a long awaited yen if they want it bad enough.

deerslayer357

I would love to have one. A friend happened on a 44 Freedom arms and it is a sweet shooter. Crisp trigger with no overtravel and more accurate than the shooter. I would jump on one if I found a good deal on it

cddogfan1

Man I would love to have a Freedom Arms. Everything I hear is they are the best of the best. My only thing with the 83 is you have to carry it on a empty chamber making the 5 shot a 4 shot. And really thats all you would ever need here in GA. Weird hang up I know. I am on the look out for a 97 in 45 LC.

Seminole Wind

I have 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" 454s and they are both fabulous guns. The recoil is violent, but it can be controlled, especially with the added weight of a scope. I don't have any experience with magnaport on a revolver, but expect it would help some. The performance of the 454 cartridge and the accuracy of a scoped FA are a combination that makes them an effective longer range hunting revolver. I wouldn't be without a FA even if I had to sell other guns to afford one.

Gator89

I bought a nicely depreciated 6 inch 454 premier grade, package include both 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders, a couple of years ago. The dang things are mechanical artwork.

If you get one, you will be more than happy with it.

Gator89

It is safe to load 5 of 5 in an FA, the sliding bar is equivalent to a transfer bar.

Man I would love to have a Freedom Arms. Everything I hear is they are the best of the best. My only thing with the 83 is you have to carry it on a empty chamber making the 5 shot a 4 shot. And really thats all you would ever need here in GA. Weird hang up I know. I am on the look out for a 97 in 45 LC.

1632749788243.png

cddogfan1

It is safe to load 5 of 5 in an FA, the sliding bar is equivalent to a transfer bar.

View attachment 1106667

Not really. Transfer bar is entirely different. Even the Freedom Arms Manual tells you not to field carry a live round under the hammer. https://www.freedomarms.com/files/pdf/Manual83-full.pdf

Starts on page 11.

While they do have a safety of sorts. Everywhere I read is don't trust is and only carry 4. The 97 which dose have a transfer bar is perfectly safe to carry a cylinder full.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No experience with the FA platform, but the .454 is a good cartridge. A friend of mine has a couple. Recoil to me is not noticeably much more than a .44 mag.

Gator89

Not really. Transfer bar is entirely different. Even the Freedom Arms Manual tells you not to field carry a live round under the hammer. https://www.freedomarms.com/files/pdf/Manual83-full.pdf

Starts on page 11.

While they do have a safety of sorts. Everywhere I read is don't trust is and only carry 4. The 97 which dose have a transfer bar is perfectly safe to carry a cylinder full.

I will ask the folks Fermin Garza's Single Action forum what they do with their FA's.

cddogfan1

I will ask the folks Fermin Garza's Single Action forum what they do with their FA's.

I am over there all the time. Lee has a great site and Fermin is a awsome memeber with lots of info. They will confirm 4.

I am not trying to bash the Freedom Arms 83 it is the cream of the crop in production and compares and sometimes exceeds custom quality. For a dedicated " hunting rig" you want find better. My only issue is the round count when you bring up say possible defense.

Get it with confidence as it will serve you well. You probably wont ever need the 5th shot anyway since its a 454 LOL

pacecars

Thanks. The one I am looking at it a used one under $2k with a Leupold 2x on it

pacecars

I couldn’t pass up the .454 for the price

660griz

My 6 inch FA 454 with extra cylinders, 45 C and 45 ACP

Interesting that you have an extra cylinder for 45 C. I have a Ruger Alaskan in 454 and I shoot 45 C using the same cylinder. What is the reasoning for the extra cylinder? Clean less?

Gator89

Interesting that you have an extra cylinder for 45 C. I have a Ruger Alaskan in 454 and I shoot 45 C using the same cylinder. What is the reasoning for the extra cylinder? Clean less?

If not cleaned properly, firing 45 Colt in a 454 cylinder can result in a carbon ring building up, making chambering the 454 round difficult to fully seat, if neglected long enough. This can happen when shooting 38's in 357, 44 spl in 44 mag, etc.

I bought this package used for ~half the cost of a new one, only reason I bought it.