Freezer question.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Someone snuck in our house & left our upright freezer door open. I say that because no one in the family remembers doing it.
Don't know how long it was open but stuff near the front was thawed but still cold.
Cleaned it out, left it off for over 24 hours. Turned it back on on coldest setting. Food near front only partially frozen.
This was over a week ago. Food should be solidly frozen.
Ideas?

jicard3

Have you looked at the coils to see if they defrosted good? I have one in my garage, i have to blow a fan on it to dry the moisture off the coils when I defrost it. If they have moisture on them they freeze right back up soon as I plug it in again.

Doboy Dawg

That same person snuck in my house a couple of months ago. Funny we had the same thing happen. I closed it back and did the same thing.

I threw out some of the food that defrosted. I cooked a bunch that was still somewhat frozen.

The rest of the food froze back. Then a week later I get home to a puddle of water in the floor. The compressor had finally died. This time I lost 30% of the food near the top.

Nobody had any freezers for sale, because of Covid, We loaded most of the deer meat, and wild hog meat in coolers. Took it to the relatives house to borrow freezer space.

I lost 50 lbs of shrimp. Every appliance store around said it was a one to two month back order for a frost free upright freezer. I guess the ships weren’t running from China, because of Covid.

I found one new 11cf chest freezer at a local appliance store. It was the only one they had left in stock. They were running a two week waiting list. So I’m stuck with that for now.

It’s funny how MLB moved the All Star Game to Denver, it’s like COVID disappeared after the election?

shdw633

Everyone with a freezer needs one of these. I had the GFCI throw one and had 200 lbs of hog meat, ice cream, and veggies sit for 2 weeks without noticing. Our noses let us know what was going on.....

Remove the GFCI and get a freezer alarm. It's loud and you can set the minimum temperature that you want

https://www.amazon.com/ORIA-Refrige...arm&qid=1626185756&smid=A1N2EG63N7G7JN&sr=8-4

Thanks for the link!! They were on a lightning deal and were on sale for under $15 so I saved about $5 over their regular price. That lightning deal is only going on for a little over 2 hours longer.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I emptied the freezer, turned it off & spun it around to get to the coils.
I assumed I could remove some screws & open the back to check the coils.
I couldn't. Aluminum back isn't screwed on & extends underneath.
Screenshot_20210713-111049_Gallery.jpg
And yes, that is a Gators shirt..........??

Last edited:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

LTZ25

That same person snuck in my house a couple of months ago. Funny we had the same thing happen. I closed it back and did the same thing.

I threw out some of the food that defrosted. I cooked a bunch that was still somewhat frozen.

The rest of the food froze back. Then a week later I get home to a puddle of water in the floor. The compressor had finally died. This time I lost 30% of the food near the top.

Nobody had any freezers for sale, because of Covid, We loaded most of the deer meat, and wild hog meat in coolers. Took it to the relatives house to borrow freezer space.

I lost 50 lbs of shrimp. Every appliance store around said it was a one to two month back order for a frost free upright freezer. I guess the ships weren’t running from China, because of Covid.

I found one new 11cf chest freezer at a local appliance store. It was the only one they had left in stock. They were running a two week waiting list. So I’m stuck with that for now.

It’s funny how MLB moved the All Star Game to Denver, it’s like COVID disappeared after the election?
50 lbs. of shrimp :(:eek::cry: